can be fixed ? or done for !?!?!?

shawn77

77 xs650
Reaction score
Ok I think I got a BIG prob ....Right side... ,exhaust side valve cover..... P.O appears to have over tighten the valve cover lower stud striped it out did the helicoil thing well appers he ran the stud thru the head is it wasted or can I do a size step up on the stud and maybe put some sorta jb stick weld in the back of the hole and be ok?

Last edited:
It's also cracked. You might be able to seal it with something like Permatex Ultimate Black RTV, but it's days are numbered with that crack.

Is that the right front bottom one? I think that one normally goes all the way through. Not sure but have read it goes into the oil so be careful when working on it. I think it's also the one most likely to be stripped/ Mine is stripped but doesn't leak. I think what you have isn't as bad as it seems. I have a feeling JB would easily hold things for the lifetime of the rest of the head. Think it through carefully first.

yea its the bottom right on the exhaust side , I don't believe it org went thru . I have a pen vac. kinda like what a dentist has . when I sucked the remaining oil out of that aera. it sucked up the the alum chunk :yikes: which was the top corner of the stud hole (.see pic) ...

I had to helicoil that exact same stud the other day and I can confirm it does not go all the way through.

Good luck man, I also think JB weld should be ok, those studs should not be under a lot of pressure normally, see if you can use a good o-ring on the cover afterward.

I used JB weld with good results.You just have to be careful when drilling and tapping it.

If I was going to do mine I'd put the JB on the stud and seat it in the hole. Then clean it around the base and put the cover on with no nut on that stud, just to line it up. Then after it dried treat it normally. Would not want to tap it and wouldn't be concerned that it was in there permanently.

Yours going all the way through is an advantage really, because it'll help you insure it's well-packed with jb.

ok being mad sometimes pays off throwin stuff around in my garage I knocked over some set screws that were sitting on my puch press which was next to my welder and I pick up one set screw it happens to be the same size as the hole was the helicoil was in so I drilled out the hex head in the set screw to the size of org stud and tacked the two together took jb weld to fill the hole that p.o put in the head when he over tightened it

Last edited:
I agree with xjwmx on the quick fix,but sounds like you've got it.I've been there too wondering what I'm going to do or how will I fix this and the answer is in a junk drawer or some where in the shop.

(UPDATE) Rode it for an hr or so last nite no leak . I let it get warm then let it cool and then rode it again. appears to be good.. thanks again for the help

Back