Can I do this?

SteedstER

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to run a DT360 tank on my 81 SP2. If I drop it on the backbone using the stock gusset mounts it hits the head (specifically the top mount). I can remove the mount but in my mind I have issues with the rigidity of the fork since the backbone isn't supported by the motor. I have seen other guys on here with the top Mount lugs milled completely off their frame. How did this work out for you/them? I have a smaller mount in mind but am only going to do that if it was necessary.
Thanks for the input!

top mount wasn't put there for fun! make a smaller one. Some guys have no issue without it, you decide.

I ran a chop for years with no top mount, never had a problem. When I refurbished it a couple years ago, I added one back on. We have an XS chop still in the family for over 25 years that still has no rear mount, just top, bottom, and front.

I just need to get the top of the head narrower to clear the tunnel on my tank. I'm also trying to keep the stock tank mounts so I can get more versatility by swapping the dt tank for the original tank if I want. I'm rephasing the motor so I'm not too concerned about vibrations being the reason for the top mount but I ride hard and minimizing frame flex by keeping mounts will be advantageous to me.

Hi SteedstER,
the DT360 tank will look sleek on there.
I reckon you should leave the head mount alone and modify the DT360 tank's tunnel to fit around it.

Back