Can I remove the original side supports on my rigid conversion?

BobberNick

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK,

I just bought a XS rigid coversion frame. I'm starting my bobber project, but the frame I bought looks too bulky. My frame has the original side supports where I believe the passanger pegs were bolted. Can I chop those? Most of the rigids I see don't have that extra support on them. I don't like the look of mine, and am wondering if I can cut those out. Please let me know. Here's a picture of my frame. I circled the supports or struts. Please let me know oh wise XS650 Forum!

Thanks,

BobberNick

PS: I POSTED NEW PHOTOS

Attachments

• cycle.jpg
    cycle.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 294
  • FRAME SUPPORT 2.jpg
    FRAME SUPPORT 2.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 219
  • FRAME SUPPORT 1.jpg
    FRAME SUPPORT 1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 195
  • FRAME SUPPORT 3.jpg
    FRAME SUPPORT 3.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 4.27 bottom rail.jpg
    4.27 bottom rail.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 191
  • bottom frame 4.27.jpg
    bottom frame 4.27.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
You should be able to click on the image and blow it up. If not, i can take a picture of them later tonight. I see a lot of these rigids that chop those side supports off without adding additional supports. Yes, on the other side is a factory rear disc brake stay. I also found another thred that answered this, but just to confirm. It said i could. Just to confirm, i will take more photos.

Thanks

What frame is that? Ive never seen a rigid with those hunks of metal still in place. I would imagine you could cut them off but that begs the question why they werent removed while initially building the frame? :shrug:

From what i can tell this was an xs650 frame that was converted into a rigid. If you search images online, some of the conversions look like they have them still in place and some dont.

I posted additional photos of the frame supports. Also, thanks to hooligans for showing me the bobber with the support attached. It sure makes it easier for a foot clutch and a suicide.

Thanks for everyone's input

Possibly! Any chance you can show the inside of the bottom of those supports. I'm not worried about the "support" I'm more concerned with whether those were taken out and then put back in or left in and how.

To me it looks like they were stock supports. Does it look like someone took them out and re-welded them back in?

On the outside, kind of. If that's the case then I wouldn't be worried about it at all. However, if they left them in then I'm not sure what would need to be done to take them off of that bottom rail. It may be as easy as just cutting them off the bottom rail and top rail, but not sure. Anyone else cut these off the rail and not just completely off?

Where is the hardtail actually welded on to the front section?

You could do it, but I wouldn't. Here's why. Your cross piece is attached to the lower side rails via the side supports. If you did it you would either have to cut above that point (which will prolly not much better looking) or you would have to put the engine back in and cut it all out and make a new crosspiece for the seat post to attach to. :twocents:

Big Jimmy is right and yes you can cut them out but you would have to sleave the lower tubes to bring it up to exhause mount and install a new cross piece and all this has to be done with a motor or set of cases installed or you are not going to be able to line up bolt holes. I was doing a frame yesterday and just tack weled everything and put it on the ground well cross piece broke and i had to put it back in jig and install cases and pull lower backbone back forward because that fast it sprung and was off a 1/16 of a inch. So if you are good do it if not leave it FONG Brother do the same as that frame and they look great.

Back