Can I run 17x4.25 rim on rear? or safe with 17x3.5? Also can I use a 250 Dirtbike hub

JustinB

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about lacing up to a 250 dirtbike hub and then custom making sprocket with whatever offset I need. Can I support a 4.25 rear rim? I know CB guys that have done it.

Also, any hub in particular?

Thanks,
Justin

I'm thinking about lacing up to a 250 dirtbike hub and then custom making sprocket with whatever offset I need. Can I support a 4.25 rear rim? I know CB guys that have done it.
Also, any hub in particular? - - -

Hi Justin,
it's the tire size that limits what you can do.
You don't need a rim wider than what's suitable for a 130 width (5" old style) tire because any tire fatter than that won't fit in the stock XS650 swingarm.
Got a deal one time on a 130/90-16 RWL tire. The chain wore the RWL off on one side and the RWL polished the paint off the brake stay on t'other.
Modify the swingarm or a hardtail's frame to fit a fatter tire and you have to offset the rim so the tire don't rub on the chain and as the countershaft and rear wheel sprockets need to be in line that means the rear tire will be running offset to the front.
Which hub? Sturdiest hub you can find, I guess.

I was thinking YZ250F, Talon hub (hopefully?). There was no Cush drive originally, so I'm not going to go for one this time.

What do you think about the 3.5" wide rim? I'm in Los Angeles, so I was going to have this strung up by Buchananan. I have COGNITO MOTO's GSXR front hub with a GSXR front end (fully adjustable Showa forks 47mm tubes).

- - - What do you think about the 3.5" wide rim? I'm in Los Angeles, so I was going to have this strung up by Buchananan. - - -

Hi Justin,
Stock XS650 Standard runs a 110/90-18 on a 2.15" width rim.
Stock XS650 Special runs a 130/90-16 on a 3" width rim.
Ask a tire expert if a 130 width tire will fit nice on a 3.5" rim because I dunno.

Back