can I use any 447 engine parts in my xs1b engine?

elrichjoshua

Josh's stolen dream
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the site. I had an xs1b back in 73 that I bought from my brother when I was seventeen. My parents wouldn't cosign for my licence, so I had about 8 months till I would be able to ride it. I had just started working a ATI racing transmissions and torque converters. My boss had his own funny car and we worked on a lot of hot rods. I got the bug and decided to soup up the xs. I put a 750 kit,cam, mikuni34 slides and did some porting work under the guidance of the funnycar engine builder at ATI. I designed and built a 2 into 1 exhaust system after reading a 300 page book on the scientific design of exhaust and intake systems and doing a lot of measuring and math. It was quite a machine but sadly it was stolen. I had about eight good years with her. I picked up an 81 model and been riding it around but it is only vaguely reminiscent of my old bike. I also have an old71 engine case that has no guts at all. I also have an extra 81 engine, complete. Is there any way to build the old motor with ANY of the 81 stuff? Or must I start from scratch? What is different? I know the electric starter is different and suspect the trans shaft can't be the same. Anyone got a line on a complete no starter engine? Any opinions on 277 degree crank phasing? Thanks for any help.

Hey, elrichjoshua. Welcome to the site. A few of us here have a similar `70s experience/backround as yours, including myself and gggGary. You'll find many questions about interchanging '256' (your `71) and '447' parts. Just fire-up a gallon of coffee and peruse this massive site, you'll find more than you can imagine. Pay particular close attention to posts by xsleo, 5twins, travis, gggGary, jayel, retiredgentleman, grizld, jack, xsjohn. There are many more, you'll learn their handles. Pour through the 'tech' section, use the forum search engine. After `71, enormous and subtle changes to the XS design occurred, too many to post in one thread. I'm still overwhelmed! I'd be surprised if anyone could absorb the important parts of this forum in less than a month.

Good luck...

Wow, it sure is neat to see the 650 legend lives on. Guess I have some research to do. Thanks for the reply. People thought I was nuts in 73, pouring money and time into a Yamaha. I knew they were special. I'd still have my first one if it wasn't stolen. So first I want to learn about fitting the 447 guts into a 256 case. Then to consider a 277 crank phasing. Whose cam to use? Big bore kit or just tx750 pistons and sleeves? So many questions and choices. In 73 there was only the tx750 sleeve/piiston and one cam option. This will be fun although I'd like to see lists of other riders setups.If you can specifically point me toward the 256/447 compatibility, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here I go.

Well, try these forum searches: '447', '256', 'crank', 'rods, 'camshaft', 'camchain', 'rephase', 'interchange' for starters. Start at the oldest and work your way forward. You'll find that '256' parts are relatively hard to find, and upgrade options are plentiful with '447' stuff. There is no specific thread that I know of that addresses your particular challenge, you'll have to piece together the info. I'm in a somewhat similar situation, having considered what's involved in upgrading my `71s to use '447' parts, and the list is long.

Hey Josh! Wlcome back, your second post and you bring tantalizing new info, the TX750 sleeves and pistons fit the 256 engines????

There are good and bad parts to both early and late engines, I'm told the early 22mm wrist pin is a problem under hard use.
By the way toomany seems to have a great deal of XS knowledge even if he's just a newby here.:D

Hey Josh! Wlcome back, your second post and you bring tantalizing new info, the TX750 sleeves and pistons fit the 256 engines????

There are good and bad parts to both early and late engines, I'm told the early 22mm wrist pin is a problem under hard use.
By the way toomany seems to have a great deal of XS knowledge even if he's just a newby here.:D

I'm interested in this as well, picked up a nice TX 750 cylinder on fleabag and removed the sleeves, thinking maybe I could have a cheap alternative for an extra set of 80mm pistons. There's a wealth of information on this site, but you have to read and search a lot. Good luck on your motor.

Back