Can someone please list what year frames are interchangeable with what year motors?

mattjg908

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am considering buying a '75 with no motor. Can someone please advise me as to what year motors will drop in without modifying the frame, reworking the wiring is not a concern to me? From what I've read they all will, even the Specials. But, I would like some verification please.

Thanks,
Matt

all motors work with all frames. the motor mounts are what changed. i think 73 and up share the same mounts. do some digging on this forum. youll find an answer

Stick with the 447 motors from 74-83/85.

The early 70-73 motors are harder to get parts for.

Motors from 80 and later have electronic ignition, meaning they don't have the advance weights or shaft so if you want to upgrade to a Pamco it will cost a lot more.

Motors from 74-79, (Specials, 78/79 and Standards, 74-79), have points so have the shaft and ad-Vance weights.

The very early engines, pre e-start, cases around the rear mount are shaped differently. Enough so even with the proper mounts they won't fit the later years. Once they added the e-start they were all the same. In 72 the frames changed a bit when the e-start was added. The change in the cases required a slight change in the mounts to work with the case changes. All the 72 up engines will fit in all 74 up frames. To fit an engine into the 72 and 73 frames you must use 72-73 mounts.
In your 75 frame you can slip any 72 up engine in there. The 72-73 engines being the 256 series is getting hard to find the right parts. The internals are quite different. I would use a 74 up, these are the 447 series engines and quite easy to get parts.
As far as standard or special they are the same. Just the styling changed.
Leo

Back