Can you I/D this part?

twindallas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the piece sticking out from this valve cover is for?

Attachments

• xsmotor2.jpg
    xsmotor2.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 132
Hi twin,
it's for mounting the decompressor cable that the first years of E-start bikes came with.
You can research to find out what it'd take to restore that quaint feature to working order or replace the cover with a later model cover or just leave it "as is"

Thanks Fred! My next question was "can I just replace the cover", and I think that's what I'll do. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need it.

72-73 came from the factory with the decompresser. and yup you can just put a plain cover on nothing else needed. The handle bar control was at the throttle and pulling it opened that exhaust valve a bit and hit the e-start. Works perfectly on my 73.

Yamaha continued to use rocker arms with a tab for that lever to push on (at all four valves) for years, to the end of production?

73 decompression lever.jpg

73 decompression lever.jpg

Thanks guys! The number on the frame is 2F0-254870, (a 78-79 model, I think). I haven't checked the engine numbers, but will they I/D the year? also, there was no title with this bike. You guys have any suggestions for obtaining one without breaking the bank? I'm in Texas, and it seems that it varies from state to state. I was hoping there was a magical website that that everyone uses to get it done quick and cheap. Thanks!

Yes the frames and engines were stamped with the same number. Search Texas title on here, there are worse states than texas for titles.

The rocker arms with the decompressor nubs continued for a few years after the decompressor itself disappeared, I'm thinking until they used them up (or most of them). I've only been into '77 and newer motors so far and they didn't have the nubs. I don't know exactly when they stopped installing them.

My engine is a 72/73 with the original decompression mechanism on the exhaust valve cover. It's a kick start only, and the cover on mine is broken anyway. I just need to know what later year model covers would fit on my 72/73 engine, thanks!

Hi twin,
any year 4-hole valve cover will fit, they are all the same up to end of production.
Or, if it's just the cable arm that's damaged, a hacksaw, belt sander and polishing wheel will convert the one you have.

If you're talking about the valve cover, any later one will fit.

Back