Canadian needles

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so the PO bought new needles apparently, I want to find out if he bought the canadian ones from xs650direct. The bike has 80-84 cv carbs, I live in Canada it's a Canadian bike so... He should have bought those needles. But this guy didn't even know the engine was a 77 and he bought a coil that fried the original tci box (to low resistance) so I dont have much confidence. Any way to like measure or maybe it's printed on it really small?

Thanks,
Rob

Burlington area. Do you have a decent measuring tool? If you could grab a few dimensions and how many adjustment grooves it's got etc that will be good enough for me at this point. Because I'm still working out an electrical problem. Once that's settled I'll move on to the carb tuning.

A bit off topic, but just wanted to say what's up from Oakville. Actually, I have a set of carbs on my 81 XS if you need to cross reference or check anything. Haven't had them apart yet.

Oakville! Sweet man. Where do you get custom work done? I see you've got the tc bros hardtail. I want to get that done with a stretch as well as cut my forks.

Ya man for sure! My buddy Jim in Oakville welded it for me. He used to run a welding school and been zappin metal for as long as I can remember so I know he's good. I can ask him if he'd do yours if need be. He has done a couple of these frames. He also did this guy Rob's frame in Burlington. Rob was building an TC Bros tailed XS and a street tracker. Haven't talked to him in some time... I wonder how he's progressin. But ya... hit me up any time. :thumbsup:

I have a brand new set sitting here.

The needles from mikes xs canada are:
part #48-0663 There are 5 indentations in the needle so 5 spots it can be adjusted to.

The needle also has a lable on it but its rediculously small. I think it says 51x11 just before the 51 is something that looks like a square with a mini square in the lower left quadrant. But is could also be a 61

Ok thanks I'll have a look. I realize these needles probably arnt as amazing as xsjohns but are they comparable considering they are adjustable unlike the stock U.S needles?

just before the 51 is something that looks like a square with a mini square in the lower left quadrant.

I think you're describing a logo Mikuni uses. It just means is a genuine Mikuni part, or maybe a good knockoff :) Also found on jets.

logo_mikuni.gif

That's it. need a dang magnifying glass to read those tiny numbers. Too bad I don't have one.

I've heard that these adjustable needles are as good as the xsjohns and heinens.

Ok thanks I'll have a look. I realize these needles probably arnt as amazing as xsjohns but are they comparable considering they are adjustable unlike the stock U.S needles?

The CDN needles work great. In all honesty I put John's needles in my bike and had no end of trouble getting the bike to work. I went back to the CDN needles and haven't had any issues since.

I had intended to get in touch with xsjohn to troubleshoot the issues I was having with his needles but sadly never got the chance.

Michael at 650 central was also telling me I should drill out part of the carb. It'll be a few months before I mess with my carbs so I didn't write it all down but he said it improves some 34's and won't hurt them at all.

Back