Canadian XS - Almost done!

Hew Man she looks great!
I think it's good to have airflow around the reg/rec to help keep it cool.
the cooler the better for the rectifiers.
Any way looking fine
I hope your friend recovers.

Hew Man she looks great!
I think it's good to have airflow around the reg/rec to help keep it cool.
the cooler the better for the rectifiers.
Any way looking fine
I hope your friend recovers.

Ya it looks likes he's gonna pull through, just not sure what kind of shape he'll be in once his bones heal up. Hoping for some miracles.

Thanks for the advice. I had never heard that about the reg/rec combo before. I was trying to close it up to keep the water out, but maybe I'll add a couple holes at the top and bottom to keep the air flowing.

rad man! im in university too trying to build my bike. my problem is time and money and lack of proper garage. I have friends too, glad to see im not the only one. gives me hope

I feel you dude. I've had this thing in 5 different shops/garages over the last few years. I have a little single garage now so I can finally work on it without having to drive all across the city. Just don't give up on it. There was so many times I could have sold this thing but I just really wanted to finish it. You'll get it done.

So now that I've done some more research it looks like I'll be making a few changes. I spoke with retiredgentleman and he gave me some good advice on the two headlights. They are both 60w hi/low beams, and I don't think the stock alternator is going to be able to carry the load from both of those, so something has got to change. I'm currently deciding between 3 options:

- Move to 30 watt bulbs if possible. Maybe run the bottom as a low beam and top as a high beam
- Fill in the top light housing and just use a 60 w on the bottom
- scrap the whole thing and start from scratch

If your budget allows I would look for some LED or Xenon lights. The LED's will pull a fraction of the power and be bright as hell. Hella makes a few options. Great to see more people getting down with a torch and welder and making something unique. There is a lot more pride in something you made from scratch.

Thanks For the input guys. I've looked into the 30 watts and I don't think they are going to be bright enough, so I think I'll take that option off. I think the best option now is to try to find some LEDs to throw in there. I'll take a look at the Zenons first and go from there. The only downside is that the fairing (if that's what you can call it) was built around the headlight housing, so I'm going to have to find something that will fit directly into those.

This is what I get for building stuff before I did my proper research. I tend to do that. I also realized that I shouldn't house my reg/rec and my coil in the electrical
box, so going to build something under my seat pan for the reg/rec and then build a mount in front of the engine for the coil (where I should have left it in the first place).

I'm also going to take a look at the PMA option and see if that's a good idea. Thanks again!!

I was speaking with someone today and they said it may be possible to still run both headlights, but to make sure I only ran one at a time. I might be able to run them on separate circuits and just switch between top and bottom when needed. Thought?

I was speaking with someone today and they said it may be possible to still run both headlights, but to make sure I only ran one at a time. I might be able to run them on separate circuits and just switch between top and bottom when needed. Thought?

Maybe run a 30 on the bottom for low beam and a 60 on top for high? Just use a three way switch on the same circuit, you will only be running one at a time anyway.:shrug:

Thanks for the advice man. I think I'll end up doing something like that. I'd really like to keep both lights as it's a different look. Now I'm realizing why people don't run two lights on these things!

hey mate, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I thought I would chirp in.

If you take a look on VLEDS.com, you can find LED bulbs to fit the H4 housings. Best of both worlds.

Im going to get a whole LED headlight from ebay, and give that a shot.

Spud

Hey brother I'm in Edmonton as well. We should get together and shoot the shit.
Once the snow is gone that is.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Been working on this bike for the winter and just picked up an '80 xs650 special for my brother that I'm working on. I'll post some pics soon. I stopped posting because I got lazy and figured no one cared, haha.

Shabba, I'm in Calgary now but my family is in Edmonton so I'm up there all the time. Let's get together for a ride when the snows gone.

SPUd - thanks for the link. I've left my head lights for last so I can still use that info. I should have the bike running in the next 3 weeks so I'll post a video. Cheers!

Sorry that nothing has been added so far. Went to wire the bike up and did a check on the bottom end before we started it. Took the oil filter out and found chunks of metal and glass embedded in it. Where the hell did the glass come from???

Luckily my buddy let me borrow his engine for the summer while I completely rebuild my motor. Just finishing the final touches on the wiring so I'll have pictures this week hopefully.

While my bike was in the shop (needed some help with some fab work I just couldn't do myself) I picked up a 1980 650 special. Was pretty ugly when I got it but I've been added some touches to it in the last little while. Painted forks, new fairing, handlebars, LED lights, seat, side covers, electrical, shocks, etc.

Here's a pic and a video.

Having some issues with the fuel filter spilling gas everywhere (see my other post) so if anyone has any tips let me know.

Thanks!

IMG_6179.jpg

So she's finally done! I've been slacking on the posts as just trying to get the thing finished. I took it out for its first ride yesterday and I'm happier than a pig in shit! I'm blown away by how amazing it rides and how much power it puts out. I'll post some more info on everything we've done to it, but I'm on my cell phone now and just wanted to get a photo up. Cheers!!

image.jpg

Back