Cannot shift - 'forked up' forks?

luckynumber0

In Over His Head
Reaction score
I can shift down to first but only back up to neutral. No higher gears.

Just wanted to make sure I actually need to split the cases before I do. Everything externally checks out (springs, detent, shift claw, shaft bits, clutch, etc), so I'm pretty sure I need to pull the engine out, flip it over, and replace some bent forks. What do you guys think?

Sorry for shaky vid - was using one hand to film and the other to work the shifter.

It's frustrating because I spent all summer doing a complete top end, and I just started on an '72 TX650 in my tiny shop and the parts for that are taking up most of the room (and money!).

Thoughts? Advice? Sympathy?

Did the gears shift BEFORE you did your overhaul? Also, the XS does not like to shift very easily without the wheels/gears turning

First, your selector arm is not dead in the centre of the star. You need to adjust the bolt just a little further down to get that arm in the middle, so that it will be in the middle.

This is the bolt you need to adjust

10076014013_f0cbec6660_b.jpg

And X=Y

15791370868_f3bd027089_b.jpg

Unfortunately you will have to pull the left cover so you can remove the circlip on the shif shaft to be able to adjust that bolt.
Hope this helps

Did the gears shift BEFORE you did your overhaul? Also, the XS does not like to shift very easily without the wheels/gears turning

Yeah it was shifting smooth and great before and after the rebuild. Rode to and from work yesterday. This morning I rode out of my gate and it would only run in first and shift up to neutral and nothing higher.

Tried turning the wheel and even riding it but it wouldn't engage 2nd.

I'll give adjusting it a shot tomorrow!

If you made adjustments to the shift arm, then you might not have gotten the lock nut tight enough and it loosened and turned.
Leo

I set out to adjust the claw just now and before I did ANYTHING, I went ahead and popped the neutral detent bolt out just to follow up on TwoManyXS1Bs' tip:
Remove the neutral detente and try again...

Popped the bolt out and with the tension on that spring released the bike went through all it's gears perfectly. How is TwoMany such a wizard?

Removed the neutral detent spring and it looks like this:

RaWuTS6.jpg

hTirNAh.jpg

Obviously it's time for a new one...but I'd like some insight on what happened to the spring (is this going to happen all the time or was it a fluke?), how was this in the way of shifting, and what to do now (if anything else is needed beyond replacing the spring and adjusting the claw).

^^ also if anyone has any idea on where to get a new spring without paying $17 for the whole assembly on ebay i'd be grateful.

Yam Part no. 90501-10068-00, *discontinued* (via Boats.net)

Last edited:
Well...don't laugh at me here...I can't tell if it's in there at all.

I happen to have one in a drawer because when I bought the bike it came without the assembly (no bolt or spring - thanks PO!). I suppose I assumed it was in there this whole time because the detent that came with the used assembly did not want to go into the hole there. Now that I'm looking...it doesn't look like there was anything there at all! I may have been riding this whole time (more than a year) without one...never had any issues beyond it being difficult to find neutral when it's running at a light, but the bike's never slipped into gear when idling.

If I have indeed been riding without one, I'd like to remedy that. Is the detent punger supposed to be too big for the hole? Im afraid to really shove it down there because it feels so tight I might not be able to get it out...

Ahh, you are bekomming schmarter! Das ist gooood!

Yeah, the plunger should be able to slide up/down in there, so it can ride on the shiftdrum, and drop into the shiftdrum's neutral notch.

Back