can't get bike to idle correctly

Think the pilot jetsI will get are.
#20 tru 32.5
And for main jet will order
190 thru 200.
Should I order new slides with bigger cutaway.
Everyone tells me I'm running lean. I read that the bigger the cutaway the leaner.

Think the pilot jetsI will get are.
#20 tru 32.5
And for main jet will order
190 thru 200.
Should I order new slides with bigger cutaway.
Everyone tells me I'm running lean. I read that the bigger the cutaway the leaner.

With the #2.0 you should be close on what you have, if you have a 17 pilot you might try that, the bigger the cut away the more are intake, so you need bigger pilot, that is why with 2.5 I use 25-30, the 190 and 200 we use on our 750 in my world that is to big for your 650, 175 at the most.(which will not effect the idle.
make sure all the passages are clean, where is you mixing screw set at , start at 1.5 turns out from the bottom(all the way in)
Do your slides open at the same time? Do the reach the top at the same time? Use your finger one at a time and open the carbs up until you feel the bottom of the slide is even with the carb cut out. match. , with your fingers on the slides of both carbs. see if they start to open at the same time. Match after you have that done,
As I don't know where you are starting with the slide , put a 3/16 or so drill bit in them (or one at a time) and adjust your idle screw to just touch them, be sure to pull them out before you start the bike. That's about all there is to setting up Mikuni.
let me know what you have for pilots, I have in the 17-22.5 range I will never use, with the 2.0 you should not need to go larger.

Last edited:
With the #2.0 you should be close on what you have, if you have a 17 pilot you might try that, the bigger the cut away the more are intake, so you need bigger pilot, that is why with 2.5 I use 25-30, the 190 and 200 we use on our 750 in my world that is to big for your 650, 175 at the most.(which will not effect the idle.
make sure all the passages are clean, where is you mixing screw set at , start at 1.5 turns out from the bottom(all the way in)
Do your slides open at the same time? Do the reach the top at the same time? Use your finger one at a time and open the carbs up until you feel the bottom of the slide is even with the carb cut out. match. , with your fingers on the slides of both carbs. see if they start to open at the same time. Match after you have that done,
As I don't know where you are starting with the slide , put a 3/16 or so drill bit in them (or one at a time) and adjust your idle screw to just touch them, be sure to pull them out before you start the bike. That's about all there is to setting up Mikuni.
let me know what you have for pilots, I have in the 17-22.5 range I will never use, with the 2.0 you should not need to go larger.
Thanks for all the info. I got the whole sync thing down. I just ordered a set of 17 and 20

I'll let you know how it comes out.
Well I received my jets this past weekend. In stalled the 17.5 with 1.5 turns out. Oh I also put the air screw back in. Wow what a difference. I have a couple more question if you don't mind.
My plug are solid white. Sudco tuning manual say I'm still lean according to the plug chart. I have to blip the throttle in order to get it to return to idle. Sudco also say I have a Rick pilot if I have to blip throttle. What are you thoughts.
So if I turn in the air mixture to get more fuel at idle do I then just turn idle down?

Do the "Dead cylinder adjustment"(found in the technical refrence under carburation, on this site.) on the pilot air screws ! that will get the adjustment spot on on both cylinders.....
White sparkplugs are a NO-NO its running way to hot that way..... sounds like you have more adjustments to make
remember the pilot airscrew and pilot jets control the Idle mixture, the slide and jet needle control the mid range and the mainjet controls the top end RPM fuel to air ratio.... they all interact quite a bit ..... (as the Pilot and airscrew mix with both the mid range and high range RPM fuel systems)
keep us posted on your progress !
Bob.........

IMG_0280.JPG
Today was a good day. I want to thank all you who responded to my post. Thanks for all the help. I have spent about the last 4 weeks trying to get this bike to run before my son comes home on leave. He and I restored this bike before he left home to join the Army. He left for Iraq last August. Thanks to all of you he will be able to ride a little bit before he goes back. The old blue dog runs like a champ. As a matter of fact runs better than it ever has.

Now that is worth comming Home to isn't it !????!
what a nice looking ride !
Bob.....

Back