carb iceing

swbill

Slacker garage shop
Reaction score
Just getting starting on tuning this wiseguys 2 into 1 intake. Starts right up and idles good but within 30 seconds the whole carb and intake ice up to where its dripping moisture and is frezzing cold. Its 70d here today. Anyone ever seen this??

Not in years. must be very humid there. As the engine runs the cool air flow in the intale can condense the moisture in the air. To freeze it usually takes much cooler temps.
What to do :shrug:.
Leo

swbill;

Let me guess.................I bet you have extremely high humidity to-day. The carb is a venturi. When air goes through the venturi it expands on the other side. When expansion occurs it draws heat from around itself, which produces a cooling effect. You have refrigeration going on, so the moisture in the air is condensing on the cold metal parts.

A change in differential pressure can cause icing. I had flow counters for natural gas in the oil fields ice on 100 plus degree days. The old Corvair guys had a manifold for a four barrel Holley it would always stay iced. Light aircraft with carburetors use a carb heater on take-off and landings. Good luck Tony C

(zombie post!!)
pressure differential assisted by evaporating fuel. The liquid-to-gas phase change absorbs a LOT of heat.

beer cooler... hmmm... modern auto throttle body with coolant passages, a small pump (would thermosiphoning work?) and an insulated, beer-can sized tube coil. how to adapt to a carburetor.... how to...

Back