Carb removal

john69

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe my recently purchased 1981 650 is in need of some serious carb cleaning.
This morning I started on the carb removal portion of this projected and soon myself stuck.
I watch a good utube video on carb removal from bike but in his video there was no airbox. I am having some difficulty on trying to remove the box which I think is necessary to remove the carbs.(?)
Any and all advise will be appreciated.

And take them out as a pair. When I was new to this I tried to get them apart and cracked the housing where the detent holds the choke open.

I believe my recently purchased 1981 650 is in need of some serious carb cleaning.
This morning I started on the carb removal portion of this projected and soon myself stuck.
I watch a good utube video on carb removal from bike but in his video there was no airbox. I am having some difficulty on trying to remove the box which I think is necessary to remove the carbs.(?)
Any and all advise will be appreciated.

Hi john,
yeah, you gotta pull the air boxes to remove the XS650's carbs.
The hassle involved in getting those air boxes off and on again at carb cleaning time has triggered a whole bunch of Unipod sales.
Note that Unipods work OK with stock carbs but the tapered pleated pods ain't quite compatable.

Hi john,
yeah, you gotta pull the air boxes to remove the XS650's carbs.
The hassle involved in getting those air boxes off and on again at carb cleaning time has triggered a whole bunch of Unipod sales.
Note that Unipods work OK with stock carbs but the tapered pleated pods ain't quite compatable.
Pardon my ignorance but What exactly is a unipod air cleaner.

A "pod" filter is a small air filter element that clamps directly onto the end of the carb. "UNI" is the brand we have found works best. The use of "pod" filters allows you to do away with the airbox assembly .....

1GjnNlo.jpg

Back