Carb sync quick question

Zombis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok So just cleaned out my BS 34s and got them back together hooked up the homemade manometer. I know that the sync screw changes the position on the right cylinder; now onto my real question. if the right cylinder pulls more vacuum than the left cylinder, I dont want to suck up anymore 2 stroke, does that mean that the sync screw needs to be turned in or out to balance to the left side?

I think last time this happened I ended up taking the carbs off and used a piece of paper as a feeler gauge.

Turn the screw out to lower the throttle plate?
Damn not sure now and it's to cold to go the shop tonight.

its ok. Turns out right cylinder wasnt firing like at all. Experiencing mad cylinder wash like compression test showed 65 psi added a touch of oil to the cylinder and the compression came back to 150.

I was turning the screw and getting absolutely nowhere.
btw its like 60 degrees here in CA

Right that turning CW opens the throttle, wrong that opening the throttle increases vacuum. More restriction=more vacuum. Open the right throttle (turn CW) if your right column is high, close the right throttle (turn CCW) if your right column is low.

Yes, reading a manometer can be confusing. At idle, the higher column is the slower running cylinder. At speed, say 3 or 4K, the higher column is the faster running cylinder. I can never remember which way to turn the screw either. I just give it a little turn either way and see what it does, lol.

I will add that my carbs will not run correctly when the manometer is even on the scale. Probably due to having a 30+yr old engine, and other variables, my carbs need to be set differently. If they are even, I can hear a difference and it runs a little "off". So I have to adjust by ear and throttle response.

When I adjust the sync, I do as 5twins does, turn the screw one way abit and see if it's right or not. If right I keep going, if wrong I turn it the other way.
A little two stroke oil won't hurt anything. Even anti-freeze won't. Any thing that gets in there gets blown right out the exhaust as fast as it gets sucked in.
Leo

Back