Carbs

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1973 XS2. Can I replace the carbs with a set of linked items from a later model. The XS2 carbs are not linked and I would like to fit a set of linked carbs from a later model so that I can tune the XS easier. At the moment the two carbs work independently and idle independently, a real pain in the ass!

Many thanks

Tim.

Yes, you can but you will probably also need later style manifolds and maybe a single cable throttle assembly. The manifolds on your early model angle differently than the later ones. Since the later linkage carbs also have top and bottom brackets between them, the spacing between the carbs is set and can't be changed. That spacing probably won't match the old style manifold spacing.

I'm not 100% sure about the throttle grip. It may or may not work with the single newer cable but maybe one of your old cables will work with the newer carbs.

Did it myself not long ago...swapped in a linked set of 77 D (BS 38's type I)and the right and left hand handlebar controls with the single throttle cable as well. Got a new set of angled carb boots (manifolds) from JBM Industries. All fit nicely and worked well. 5 twins called it right on re the spacing and angles needed to bring the linked carb sets to proper alignment. Though an old set from 77 -79 for the linked BS 38's will fit the intake mounts.

The two cable throttle will work just fine with the later single cable carbs, just use on cable, take the unused cable off, keep for a spare.

Back