Case assembly-kickstart

jakeroper

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen,
Currently in the process of reassembling my engine after a complete strip down and it’s been some time since disassembling.
I’m just wondering if I’ve misplaced or never had a thrust washer between the kick start retainer clip and the case.
Thank you in advance for your reply’s

Attachments

• E6C8CED1-4C3F-4514-9819-7C8E0596A83B.jpeg
    E6C8CED1-4C3F-4514-9819-7C8E0596A83B.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 86
Just had mine apart to replace the starter gear and there was a thin washer on that shaft between the case and retaining clip.

This may have been an "as needed" part. I've found it on some, not on others. But, on the ones I didn't, it could have just been lost or left out by a P.O., lol. It has a nasty habit of sticking to the cover when you remove it. Then it can fall off and get lost. So, check your cover, maybe it's still stuck inside there. To check and see if you need it, re-fit the cover and pull/push on the kicker shaft. If it moves in and out more than a MM or so, you probably want and need the shim. There wasn't one on my '78 but the shaft moved in and out quite a bit, more than I liked, so I added one.

That’s how I discovered mine. Pulled the side case off and found it on the ground upon reassembly.

Still available from Yamaha dealer, in Canada it's PN 90201-256K6-00, $7.07.

Back