CDI style ignition

I guess that should read the charging system is shot AND it will kill a battery overnight. The charging system isn't working. Add to that it has a dead short somewhere that kills the battery and I might be better off starting over.

I don't know much about a Banshee so I didn't know they were 180* firing. My bike is an 81 so it's TCI ignition. Nothing in the cam cover to run the ignition off of.

Last edited:
If the charging system is causing the battery to drain overnight............Turn the key off and shut down the motor..............

If a short is causing the battery to discharge over night..............disconnect the battery..............

Then again the Battery could be completely shot and won't hold a charge...........,

Don't blame the charging system on the bad short or battery if you want to buy a new charging system................just do it

Its ill-informed statments form novices, like the above statement, (post #21), that are repeated and blamed on something that is not the issue, this gets repeated by other ill-informed people and after a time it is be-leaved to be the truth and spread by more ill-informed

Last edited:
I said from the begining that im not an electronics expert. I'm also not a "novice".
As I said, a brand new battery is drained overnight. A bad regulator can absolutely cause that issue and last time I checked is part of the charging system.

The regulator cannot drain the battery,as long as the key is turned off. A rectifier, or the rectifier portion of a combination rec/reg unit can drain the battery. As a test, fully charge your battery with a bench charger, install it into the bike, and then unplug the rec/reg combo unit and leave it unplugged over night. If your battery is still fully charged in the morning, you know that the rectifier portion of the combo unit is defective.

I agree with 650skull. You say you don't know electronics very well and you say you don't know the XS650 very well, yet you are ready throw out the stock charging system and stock TCI (ignition), without doing any investigation as to what is really wrong. Do you know if the TCI is working or are you just assuming its not working?

You say money is tight, and building a new house, yet you're talking about PMA and CDI systems costing $300, $400 or $500 dollars. Your stock alternator/charging system may only need a few inexpensive parts, costing under $50.00 perhaps.

I'll readily admit I don't know XS's. This is the first one I've ever had. I'll also admit that I'm not an electronics genius. But I'm not dumb and I have fixed more Cars, Motorcycles, ATV's and tractors than most people my age. I know basic troubleshooting.

The TCI was working. The bike ran when I bought it but would not charge the battery. Testing at the battery while running showed no rise in voltage so the charging system isn't working properly. I started looking into the Banshee PMA swap which I am going to do to fix the charging issue and I thought why not TRY and go all the way. A CDI system is doadle and COULD be cheaper in the long run if I ever need to replace anything.

The extra parts to go from the PMA swap to the full CDI setup are going to cost me roughly $40-60 more. That's not much to pay for something that could be awesome.

I'm not reinventing the wheel. Just trying to make it work on a different model :)

I might end up right back where I started or I might hit it out of the park, won't know till I try.

Forgive me if I type sometimes without thinking every aspect through. I should have picked up on the Banshee being 180* firing. It's a 2 stroke so :doh: I was watching my kids so I had my mind elswhere. I'm sure I'll ask more dumb questions and make more statements that don't make any sense. I'm good at it :laugh2:

First sorry bad English/Finglis
I have planed samekind ignition, If you compare 360 vs 180 ignition.,And in this case 180 engine is two stroker.
I think that does not matter if the spark comes in every round (waste spark)

I have planed fit "normal" banshee swap parts, plus banshee Pick up,coil and cdi box,Only thing makes me worried is ignition advance...
If this do not work, I lose only a 30$, And before I get this to work, I'm not removing points ignition, so it's easy go back to original ignition.

Henrik, read my post number 2
See if you can find a diagram of the banshees advance curve to check. It may retard at a RPM higher than the XS's redline.

I end up thinking in circles about using a 2 stroke ignition if it would work or not. I don't think it will but don't know for sure. Please let us know how you get on

If it does run another problem you may encounter is the wasted spark igniting some of the incoming charge. I have spoken to someone who used a wasted spark ignition on an rephrased british bike. He got it to run but it did not produce the power it should. He went to a non wasted spark and it ran as it should. His theory on why it did this was the partial ignition of the incoming charge.

Henrik, read my post number 2
See if you can find a diagram of the banshees advance curve to check. It may retard at a RPM higher than the XS's redline.

I end up thinking in circles about using a 2 stroke ignition if it would work or not. I don't think it will but don't know for sure. Please let us know how you get on

If it does run another problem you may encounter is the wasted spark igniting some of the incoming charge. I have spoken to someone who used a wasted spark ignition on an rephrased british bike. He got it to run but it did not produce the power it should. He went to a non wasted spark and it ran as it should. His theory on why it did this was the partial ignition of the incoming charge.

Sounds like the problem was ignition "power" not how it works? The bad spark depends so many things, coil could make bi difference...
So hard to say, but we all know how Brits electrics work, Lucas prince of darkness

Back