Center stand

Pasiv65

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi!

Do you have any experiences if the main stands between year models can be reversed? I would need one for my 1972 model, but they can be found very seldom. There is one in the eBay, but it is too expensive for me (120$).

Just for curiosity: has anyone else noticed, that there seems to be much more right hand side covers available than left hand side covers? Or is it only my imagination :umm:

Pasi

Hi!
Do you have any experiences if the main stands between year models can be reversed? I would need one for my 1972 model, but they can be found very seldom. There is one in the eBay, but it is too expensive for me (120$).
Just for curiosity: has anyone else noticed, that there seems to be much more right hand side covers available than left hand side covers? Or is it only my imagination :umm:
Pasi

Hi Pasi,
I'm not sure about XS650s as early as '72 but from personal experience from '76 up to end of production all centrestands will interchange.
Mind you, they are not all the same. The kickdown tang (the thing that breaks off when you stomp on it) gets more and more sturdily attached each year so later is better if you need to find a replacement.
And here's an easy way I discovered to get that super-strong centrestand spring back on:-
Connect the spring to it's mounting locations with the stand still disconnected. Then move the stand into alignment with it's mounting holes and put the pivot bolts back in.
Rarity of left-hand sidecovers?
Like the stealthed alien chip in my brain that I only know about because it triggers traffic lights to turn red whenever I drive up to one, it's all in your imagination.
If you were looking for a right-hand sidecover all you'd find would be lefties.

Last edited:
According to the parts diagrams, the '70-'73 stand differs from the '74-on one, at least by part number .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-256-27111-09-00.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-1T3-27111-02-00.html

However, they look very similar in the diagrams. I could provide you with some measurements from a later stand if you like, specifically the inside to inside and outside to outside widths at the pivots. From that you should be able to tell if it would fit your '72.

Yes, the tangs are prone to breaking off. After mine did, I welded it back together but added a brace .....

BracedStand.jpg

Another worthwhile mod is grease fittings on the pivots. It makes a huge difference in how easy the bike goes up on the stand when it's greased up real good .....

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

Hi,

thanks to both of you for your advices! So I think I look for the later models´ main stands. There also seems to be more of them and they are cheaper. 5twins, if you could give some measurements of the width, that would be very helpful!

And yes, it must be my imagination with this lack of left hand side covers; if you start concentrating too much on something that looks "suspecting", it eventually becomes real to you... :er:

Do you mean engine side cover? I know the older XS had a slightly different shape on the left side than the later models. This makes them a bit more rare.

Also, try posting a wanted listing in the classified section for the parts you require. You'll probably find a better price and be able to deal with someone who knows what they're talking about. eBay can be tricky when it comes to the subtle differences between different models. For instance I bought 3 heads on eBay for my '72 and each time received a later model head. I ended up just using the later model head in the long run because the differences were nominal.

OK, here you go .....

Hi!

Thanks again to you all for your tips! I finally measured the dimensions of my bike´s center stand "bracket". Referring to the 5twins´s picture above, the differences are as follows:

- width of 206-207 mm is on my bike 197-198 mm
- width of 274 mm is on my bike 265 mm

So it is narrower like txxs said, and the later model won´t unfortunately fit. But I´ll keep searching with these new tips that I got from you!

Pasi

PS. Clarko, I ment the side covers that are right under the seat, those which are attached with one bolt and "hooks". I´m still thinking that there is something mysterious going on with this rarity of left hand covers... ;)

Last edited:
So basically, the early stand looks to be about 10mm narrower across. Due to the high cost of these early stands, I might be inclined to cut 10mm out of the center bar on a later one and "shorten" its width.

So basically, the early stand looks to be about 10mm narrower across. Due to the high cost of these early stands, I might be inclined to cut 10mm out of the center bar on a later one and "shorten" its width.

How come I never can figure out this kind of clever and obvious solutions? Maybe that´s one of the reasons that my projects usually last for years... :doh:

Pasi

cutting and welding a later model stand is an awesome idea. If anyone tries it before me let us know how it goes. Pics will be appreciated too.

If you do cut your stand to shorten it, bevel the mating surfaces of both halves to a 45 degree taper. That will give you more surface to weld and make the join stronger. I also found that you can increase the leverage to put the bike on your center stand in your usual parking spot in the garage by using a track plate. This is a 1/2 inch thick plate used on railroad tracks. It is in the shape of a cradle. It sits between the track and tie, securing them together with spikes. Back your bike up on it and, unlike a piece of wood it won't, slide away on concrete due to its weight and shape. And the cradle will stop the tire from rolling past the plate.

The left side cover shortage must be due to to the fact that bikes rarely fall away from the side stand. That only happened to me once. Under an overpass on Rt. 80 in Ohio, I was standing on the right side of the bike putting on rain gear when a malicious trucker blew past at 90 mph inches from my handlebars. The road was empty. The bike blew over, but I anticipated what was going on and caught it before it went down.

The side cover that gives access to the battery is usually the one that gets it's fasteners worn out, or isn't attached correctly, and it falls off and gets lost. Right side covers on the CB750C's have become rare, sometimes selling for $300, even with cracks and broken holders. ebay is gonna eat up these parts and make them harder to get, quicker than we ever thought.

Scott

Back