CHAIN LUBE....who uses what?

remember LINKLYFE? Black wax in a big flat round can
No never heard of it, perhaps regional marketing kept it out of the South. "Googled" it and references to that stinky stuff and Mother's cookstove abound. I used to keep spare chains lubed and ready to go when we were riding off road day after day.

Got an address/link where i can get Something........

Frankly? Most of the time I use WD40. It's thin, so it doesn't hold grit, but it is water repellent, which keeps rust at bay. It does have to be reapplied fairly often, but it isn't unusual for me to hose the chain down and wipe the excess off with a rag during my pre-ride check.

I had two shaft drive motorcycles and loved them. I would gladly trade off some horsepower for a no maintenance / clean drive system. :shrug:

The first time I went to exit the Interstate on the K100 iI nearly Sxxx my pants even though I was expecting it.

To be honest chain maintenance would of been the least of my service problems. Did grow to like the thing. Wish I could afford to put it back together.

I had two shaft drive motorcycles and loved them. I would gladly trade off some horsepower for a no maintenance / clean drive system. :shrug:

Hi Mailman,
Get an XS11.
Even if it's clean, (not NO but low) maintenance shaft drive system sucks up some horsepower there's enough left to cruise at WAY over any US speed limit.
And it has lots of parts in common with an XS650.

Hi Grimly,
me too. The important thing is the chain oiler.
A steady drip of any kinda lubricant gives far better chain life than running it soaked in the best lubricant until it flings off then running it dry.
Note to Skull:-
While Australians can buy lanolin by the gallon with no embarrassment, it's only available in North America from drug stores
where it's sold to nursing mothers to ease their chapped nipples.
Lanolin is also an excellent thread lubricant. I use it on sailboat rigging turnbuckles. Stainless threads and bronze barrels of the turnbuckle gall without a lube. We are pulling 1800-2000 lbs static tension on 3/16th wire and the barrels are still pretty easy to fine tune with lanolin.

Hi Mailman,
Get an XS11.
Even if it's clean, (not NO but low) maintenance shaft drive system sucks up some horsepower there's enough left to cruise at WAY over any US speed limit.
And it has lots of parts in common with an XS650.
I believe they were able to trade a louder exhaust for less (no) chain noise and end up with similar rear wheel HP, theoretically😎

Wasn’t there a model of XS that ran the engine vent hose into a hole on the left side cover to vent oil fumes onto the front sprocket?
I remember my '65 Triumph T100R had this 'accessory'....
I have used Bel Ray products with great success.

Attachments

• Chain lube.jpg
    Chain lube.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
1710337636092.jpeg
1710337675223.jpeg

Just lately, I’ve been using these. The first one because I decided I needed to lube chains on a road trip. I found it at Tractor Supply. The second because I ran out of chain lube at home and had this on the shelf.
Both seem to stick as well as anything else I ever used. My chains are o’ring. Both are cheaper than chain lube.

Back