chain master link question

xsgeoff

XS650 Greenhorn
Reaction score
So I removed my chain so I could take off my wheel and to give it a good cleaning. The PO had a clip-style master link, which I unfortunately fucked up the clip of when removing, so now I need a new master link (and I want to switch to a proper rivetted link anyways).

Question is, I don't know where to find a proper master link for my chain. It is an O-ring chain, and the only markings on the chain are "RK" and "50S0". But I cannot find anything on the RK website about such a chain. http://www.rk-japan.co.jp/global/chain.htm So I don't know if this chain is a 520/525/530, etc. How do I tell?

And, once I know the size, can I just use the same size master link from any manufacturer? Ie. Louis here in Germany carries master links from D.I.D and Regina http://www.louis.de/_10779e18ce845a...504&hersteller=0&motorrad=0&anzeige=0&typ_id=

I really don't want to have to get a new chain/sprocket set at this point, just because I fucked up a shitty master link. There is at least a season left in this chain/sprocket by my estimate...

To measure a chain You want to measure the link first from center of pin to center of pin. then measure the chains width inside link.
Now if the first measurement is 5/8" that is the 5 in the 530 or 520
Then the second measurement. If that is 3/8" that would be the 30 in the 530
If it is 2/8" or 1/4" that is 20.
Chains are different Reg chain oring chain xrinng chain so links matter

Thanks, so it appears the chain is 3/8" wide between the plates (image), and the centre-to-centre is 5/8" so that is a 530 chain. The O-ring is a regular "donut" ring (circular cross-section).

So can I use a 530 "donut" ring master link from any other manufacturer?

Vhrz5e5.jpg

The chain link's principal dimensions will be standard from on manufacturer to another. Although not ideal, you should be able to use a master from another manufacturer in the same type of chain and be ok. Also, clips should NEVER be reused anyway. This type of locking clip is not intended for repeated cycles of off and on.
I don't understand why you could not remove the wheel withou breaking tue chain though.

If the Master Link you have is ok, use it. Most bike shops should have a clip. It's main purpose is to hold the side plate on.
You might find a clip the right size at a hardware store or a farm supply store. In a standard chain it's a #50 chain.
I have never had a chain failure that I could blame on a clip style master link.
On my Kawasaki HI 500, I did almost have a chain failure because I just ran the chain way to long.
On a 100+ hp bike you might need the extra strength of a riveted type link but on a 50 hp XS650, not so much.
I'd trust a clip type link over the mismatched link you want.
Leo

I would try to get an RK one. The pin diameters may be a bit different between manufacturers.

Thanks for the advice. I did finally managed to find an RK master link on Amazon.de

RK has a really shitty web presence though, their website doesn't give a whole lot of information, and it is near impossible to figure out where you can buy their products.

Back