Chain Tensioner for Stock Frame?

glennpm

Another Old Biker Nut!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm curious on whether anyone has used a bolt-on drive chain tensioner with a stock frame configuration. The MonsterCraftman site has a number of good looking tensioners but most look appropriate only for choppers. I'd like to see a skate board type of tensioner that would bolt to the bottom tube for the rear footpeg mount that is tucked up close to the main frame down tube. I know that this is not the ideal, since it is not in the mid-span of the bottom part of the chain.

Attachments

• Stock Chain Tensioner Suggestion.jpg
    Stock Chain Tensioner Suggestion.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 293
With the adjusters on the swing arm why would you need or want the chain tensioner?
Leo

+1 Looking at your pic you might be well served by a new chain and sprockets. A chain never stretches evenly, it always gets tight and loose spots, making it slap around like a fat guy in a wife beater tee shirt.

Hi,

The swing arm adjusters are set for slack and wear at one point in time, but they don't self adjust. With a wheel, you would set more slack in the chain, set the adjuster wheel and it would pretty much self adjust for a long wear time.

Adjusting the chain keeps you busy while waiting for the oil to drain out at oil changes.
Leo

Well why didn't you say so?

full

I had never seen it, what a beauty! Got to keep looking cause there are so many great details!

ps I still say don't hang a tensioner on it. A good X-ring chain should last at least oil change time between adjustments.

full

On a bike like the XS, with maybe 4" of rear wheel suspension travel, there should be no need for a spring loaded chain tensioner. These were used on long suspension travel bikes, like MXers
If the chain is slack enough for a tensioner, what happens during engine braking?
And why someone would think a hard-tailed bobber or chopper needs one, is a mystery in itself.
Also, it would most likely create more wear on the chain, more HP loss, and more noise, but no real benefit. So a spring loaded tensioner is definitely a "must have" for choppers ;)
What I definitely would consider, is a plastic chain slider on top of the swing arm, maybe 100 mm long. If using longer than stock shocks, combined with smaller than stock rear sprocket, that may become an actual problem.

Many of the hard tails are extended. That makes for a longer chain run and that's why I think they add a tensioner.

Many of the hard tails are extended. That makes for a longer chain run and that's why I think they add a tensioner.
OK, that makes sense if the chain gets really long. I guess a slider supporting the chain from dropping, as well as sideways would do the trick.
I also wonder if any MXers today use roller tensioners, or if they all use sliders instead.
Just have this idea that a roller just creates more noise and vibration

Back