Chain tensioner question?

Greenmachine

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I notice these chain tensioners from monstercraftsman and others that people put on. I am guessing they are only needed if you run a hardtail frame? So if I run a monstercraftsman brat kit (still uses swingarm and rear shocks) I assume I don't need a tensioner, am I right?

Should not need a tensioner with rear suspension, just adjust per manual as long as the swingarm is not a good bit longer or anything.

Why is it that a rigid frame would require a chain tensioner? Is it because the chain length is fixed (unlike a swing arm which moves) and the chain flexes /stretches over time?

Why is it that a rigid frame would require a chain tensioner? Is it because the chain length is fixed (unlike a swing arm which moves) and the chain flexes /stretches over time?

I see no reason for a rigid frame to absolutely require a chain tensioner. I think I have a good guess why some think that they are required.

No center stand on most rigid frames. Chain adjustment becomes a major job.

Fender clearance, with a fender mounted for very close clearance with the tire, chain adjustment would also require fender adjustment. Chain tensioner, no adjustments necessary.

Scott

Hardtails, especially stretched hardtails, can have chain clearance problems.
The spring loaded jockey wheel lifts the chain up so it don't gnaw on the frame.
If you screw up a bratstyle conversion it could need one too.

Gotcha, might not be the place to say this, but I've always kept the belt on my Harley. Never saw a need to go through the hassle of converting to a chain, then again, it's still a swing arm too.

Gotcha, might not be the place to say this, but I've always kept the belt on my Harley. Never saw a need to go through the hassle of converting to a chain, then again, it's still a swing arm too.

Hi 'gate,
not the place fer sure. This string is about choppers and from what you say your Harley is still rideable.

Back