Changed the brakelight, now the bike runs bad

Fossi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my brake light to a Lucas lookalike, and now the bike only runs on one cylinder. The wiring on the light was almost the same as on the old light, except for the grounding wich I connected to one of the mounting bolts. When I started the bike afterwards it ran like crap and I have no power/tourqe. What have I ruined this time?

Yeah, I guess I should stop, but I have to do something untill I get my license. And the best way to resist riding the bike is to make sure it can't be ridden :)
I'm thinking I messed up the grounding, but I didn't have the time to check it. Well, guess I have something to do tomorrow then.

Old Instructor Pilot saying: When you do something, and the aircraft reacts in a way you did not expect, and do not desire, undo what you last did first!

I know you said it was a lookalike, but they didn't call Lucas "the prince of darkness" for nothing! Maybe it is too good of a knockoff!

The inventor of total darkness strikes again. The thing that really sucks is that the light works like a charm. Both running light and brake light.

Ok, so I disconnected the brake light to see if it made any difference. Still runs like crap. The engine has no power and it dies if I cover up the left mufler. If I cover up the right one nothing happens. Any ideas?

Sounds like the right cylinder has a problem, since the left will sustain, albiet roughly. Don't really have a suggestion where to start, but your rough running is due to something in the right side.
If the light is working, leave it alone! It is not unusual to clog up one carb with the split feed. I'd check the fuel supply, and make sure your coil is giving you spark to the right cylinder.

Seems like its the spark plug. I can't get a spark on the one that was on the right side. The other plug works on both sides. So thats the problem hopefully, now I only have to find out why it happened. And get a par of new spark plugs. Wich seems to be quite a challange

As you found it looks to be a plug. I think the poor running was just a coincidence, not related to the tail/brake light.
There is no connection between the lights and ignition. About the only thing, might be a short from a lighting power wire to ground, but that will more likely blow a fuse, niot make it run poorly.
jd750ace, On the dual petcock bikes there is a crossover tube between the fuel inlets at the carbs, so anything that comes from either petcock can get to both carbs. You can even run the bike just fine with just one petcock turned on.
Leo

Back