Charging issues

seek4ws

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe someone can help here. Bikes was running fine stock I just recently chopped it and did a simple re wiringing with the TC bros harness and regulator/rectifier combo. Bike doesn't seem to want to charge and keeps blowing the 20 watt fuse I have from the battery to the harness. It's a 1978 points ignition xs650. Any suggestions on what may be causing that?

maybe someone can help here. Bikes was running fine stock I just recently chopped it and did a simple re wiringing with the TC bros harness and regulator/rectifier combo. Bike doesn't seem to want to charge and keeps blowing the 20 watt fuse I have from the battery to the harness. It's a 1978 points ignition xs650. Any suggestions on what may be causing that?

have you put any air in the tyres lately ?:rolleyes:

seriously ...you've chopped the bike up ripped out the original wiring and rewired it with a late type regulator rectifier and you think we will be able to guess what you've done wrong ;)

You need to to provide more information especially pictures which could be helpful. Give us a link to the wiring schematic you have used and a picture of your rectifier and stator .

Plucking a random suggestion out of the ether I would suggest you first check that you have isolated the brush assembly on the stator with nylon screws if you are using a 1980 onwards type regulator .On models up to 79 the ground wire on the stator is not isolated . Sounds like you are using an early stator with a late type regulator .
http://www.xs650.com/threads/ungrounding-3-screws-on-stator-assembly-why.15141/

Last edited:
Ok well thats good .
This regulator I presume yes http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/regulator-rectifier-yamaha-xs650-points-ignition-models.html

You probably have a direct short to ground somewhere and you need to find out where.
This is an extremely simple wiring schematic it shouldn't be too hard to track down

The best way if you haven't got a multimeter is to unplug everything and try turning the ignition on . If the fuse doesn't blow they you need to reconnect everything bit by bit until the fuse blows .Its crude but it should work

What happens when you disconnect the regulator at the connection ? does the fuse hold and does the bike then run ?

This is an extremely simple wiring schematic it shouldn't be too hard to track down where you are getting a direct short .
Check through your wiring again particularly the headlight and tail light and brake switch.
Try disconnecting all the lights and see what happens.

That has to be the crappiest wiring diagram I have ever seen. What is happening at the ignition switch ? how have you connected the ignition switch to the red wires

Last edited:
My money is on the reg/rec. I went with the one Hugh makes from Hugh's hand built. Could possibly be a short somewhere or improper wiring and/or ground issue. Take a look at the fuse that is blowing and follow the wires. Make sure what you hooked up is correct. Are the wires to your starter? Ignition? Pics would help.

Thanks - Vince

Back