Charging issues

Tom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, my '79 SF has been playing up recently and before I buy a new part, I just want to sense check my thinking.

Issue:
Bike starts (kick only) and idles fine but wont rev off idle without spluttering all over the place. I initially thought this could be blocked jets but as the whole fuel system has been cleaned and checked, I started to look elsewhere. I checked the battery and it was sitting at 12.4V so I put in on charge over night. Loaded it back into the bike and it started and ran better than ever, no spluttering. I then pulled off the red wire from the reg (PMA) and testing the voltage coming out of it when idling (12-14 V) and when revving up over idle it hits up to 17.5V...

So, is my Reg dead and letting out to much voltage which isn't letting the engine rev much over idle? I'm guessing it may have cooked my battery too or could this be a problem with the PMA?

My first step was going to be replacing the reg with this (https://www.shop.modernmotorcycleco...ator-rectifier-12-volt-200w-single-or-3-phase) and hoping that keeps the voltage at a sensible rate.

I'd appreciate any tips or thoughts before I go ahead and test. I'll be doing a load test on the battery too before i fork out for a new one.

I think the best thing for you is to look into a good reg/rec, not one from China that comes with most PMA's. The one I like is a Shindengen 775AA. A bit pricey but well worth the money. Tested used ones can be found on Ebay for $40/$50 , they are used on several ATV's and such
tim

You're measuring the regulator's output voltage without it being connected to the battery?

Correct. I removed the wire that would normally go from the reg to the positive terminal of the battery and measured the voltage through varying RPMs.

fully charge the battery, leave everything hooked up and test voltage at the battery;
bike off
at idle
at 2000 and 3000 RPM
Never hurts to check any and all electrical connections (Grounds too). A bad connection can fool the regulator into thinking the battery needs more juice than it really does.
There was just a post today about a non working charging system cured when a bad stator connection was repaired.

Back