Charging issues

Dxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
CEADB220-C795-4CF4-9E9A-BE59B8131BA3.jpeg
hi I have a 1980 xs650 I’m having a odd charging issue I used my multi meter and checked my Rectifier, Checked that stator and when i rev the motor past 2000 rpms the voltage does go up to about 14.0-14.2. But for some reason my battery won’t charge. I ride for alittle and then the battery is so weak I gotta use the kick starter. I feel like the bike is charging but not a strong charge because all the components checked out to be ok. The battery also seems to be holding its charge. By the way I wired my bike myself. Could it possibly be a short somewhere from my wiring harness ??? Helpppp. Anyone

How old is the battery? Was the charging system working? If it was working, it should still be working. I’ve had some batteries shaken apart by XS650.

I measured voltage at the battery. And when revved the multi meter would jump up like it should. I wired the bike kinda different from most. I have a fuse box with both negative terminals and 6 power terminals I have the rectifier getting power from one of the power terminals from the fuse box Should I instead wire the power for the rectifier from the ignition switch. Also I don’t think the bike was charging prior to tear down. Is it possible it’s not getting a good charge back to the battery because the brushes and stator are dirty????

If you're getting 14.2 at the battery, it's charging. At least it's getting the voltage it needs to charge. I'd guess the battery is bad. Show us the wiring diagram you wired it up with?

D8F0508F-25CD-4C94-A12C-569C30E453FA.jpeg
This is pretty much it. I have the combined RR and 7 wire igniter I guess it wouldn’t hurt to get a new battery. Ima try again tomorrow and see what kind of voltage I get back to the battery I’ll spend the extra money and get a sealed battery

If you're using the combined RR, brown needs to be switched from the iggy switch and red goes direct back to battery through the 20a fuse. Brown is voltage sensing for the regulator and red is DC from the rectifier back to (charging) the battery.

I had the same issue one time with a brand new agm battery which one of the cells was bad. I got a replacement autocraft lithium battery and have been please with it. It has a longer warranty compared to the other two types of batteries (agm/ lead acid) that are advance auto brand. I have had people recommend trickle chargers, but I don’t feel you really need one with a lithium battery unless you are storing it in the cold for a long period of time.

Back