Charging problem, 74/75 motor, Pamco...

Mitchell_p

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Please forgive me if this has been gone over in the tech articles and other posts. I have been reading for about 2 hours now and am still abit confused as to whether or not i have wired my bike correctly.
I don't have a electrical meter to test my harness and i know i should go and get one but im abit low on funds at the moment. So it's making things abit difficult.

I have a 74/75 motor and have added a pamco and a reg/rec in 1 unit from a later model.
Used the chopper diagram that most of us know but heres a photo anyway:
noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg

I connected everything up exactly to the diagram and removed and replaced the screws with nylon bolts like it said.

My bike doesn't appear to be charging. I took it for a ride yesterday and it went fine but i charged the battery for 20 mins before that. Went out to start it this morning and it ran for 20 seconds and then stopped and wouldnt start again. It only has a kick start and would just pop once every time i kicked it after that initial 20 sec run.
I came back half an hour later and it did the same, first kick it ran for 20 or so seconds and then stopped and wouldnt kick again.

Not sure where to go from here.

Mitchell:

I know you say you have a Pamco, but it shows points in your diagram. Do you mean you have a PMA?

I think we just need to know what you've actually go beforehand...

Rich

Yeah sorry, I didn't make the diagram. my bike started off with points like in the diagram but i have since swapped it out for the pamco with the bigger coil.(not the green coil) That is the only difference.

Back