charging problem

mikeweyandt18

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok so i am haveing some charging problems. i checked the rotor and it has .5 ohms, checked all 3 white wires out of of the engine and none are shorted to ground. i also checked the regulator/rectifier and it seems to be working fine. i cleaned the brushes off with some scotch bright, and the copper rings also. i just cant seem to figure this thing out. o by the way, it is a 1981 xs650. with eveything cut off the electrical system but the headlight, tail light, and battery. any ideas would be great

ok so i have beegn looking at some wireing diagrams an i found something that might be screwing me up. in one the brown wire off the brushes is grounded, and the green is connected to the regulator/retifier. in the other the brown gets ignition voltage and the green is connected to the regulator/rectifier. as of right now i have the brown grounded, and the green to the regulator. should i try supplying 12volts to the brown and see what happens. or do they change it between points igniton, and electronic.

Yes they changed which brush goes where, early bikes regulate the hot, later ones regulate the ground. (or something like that) Don't just swap wires. the grounded brush must be "ungrounded" to use the later style regulator. Keep reading diagrams and the how too's in the tech section.
Plus 1 on 5.1 not .5

Last edited:
ok so i changed the brown wire to the brushes from a ground, to an 12v ignition. and bam i am gettin some charging. the only problem now is that is is charging 58 volts. what the hell. i checked to make shure my green isnt grounding out on me and its not. do i need a new regulator rectifier? :wtf:

Back