Charging system help needed!

mjaw001

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1978 xs bobber, simplified wiring with a newer regulator/rectifier and boyer ignition. No "nylon" screws in the stator that i keep hearing about to "unground" the stator (I still don't understand the reasoning behind this)

Anyways, got the bike all together took it for a ride and after about 20mins it started to bog out like it was starving for fuel, it quickly crapped out after that and i had to walk the bike home 10 blocks. I noticed the headlight was dim and quickly figured it was a week battery.

Took it home a threw a volmeter on the battery and it was low, charged it up to 12.6 volts and started the bike with no problem, checked it with the voltmeter on the battery and the battery dropped all the way down to 11 volts and fell lower from there. I concluded that the stator is not charging my battery.

I know there is already lots of threads on charging problems but they seem to all be geared towards stock bikes and not simplified bobbers.

I'm going to try the "curly's charging test" in the moring but if anyone has any other tips or thoughts I'd appreciate it! thanks

if you are using mikesxs solid state conversion reg/rec(Part #24-2089), you do not need to do the nylon screw mod. If you are using a solid state reg/rec from a newer model xs, then you have to do the nylon screw mod for your charging system to work.

I got it given to me, it's black and doesn't have anything written on it, i don't think it's the one from mikes xs. Although it does look similar...
I guess I'm going to try the nylon screw install and see if that makes my charging system work.
Any idea where you buy 4mm nylon screws? online? yamaha dealer?

Thanks

mjaw you are going to figure out what regulator you have and if it's even the right one for your bike then find out how THAT regulator needs to be wired THEN start changing things if needed. If you can, get the part number off the regulator then google the part number find out what bike it was built for then find a wiring diagram for THAT bike see if it has a electro magnet like the XS650 does. (odds aren't that good) If there are no numbers; open the back door, throw that regulator as far as you can and go buy a correct regulator. A random regulator will not do the job, randomly changing your wiring will double your problems.
The charging system is the charging system whether the factory wiring or simplified chopper wiring it ALL is connected the same.But the wiring and components ALL have to be for the charging system you have. About the only universal is the three white or yellow wires run from the alternator to the regulator. the other wires vary system by system.

Mike, you don't need the nylon screws. Judging by the pic you posted of the timing marks when you were trying to set up the Boyer ,you have the later model stator, which is already isolated. Like Gary says, that reg may not be the right one. Don't use the schematic for the 78 yr, go to 81 and look at how it all goes together. Give me a call if you need help. John.

Thanks for the tips! I was able to figure it out. John, you were right about not needing the nylon screws.

In one of my previous pictures I posted on a different thread you can see one of the brush springs sticking out. I pulled the brushes out and found that only one was making contact. I straightened out the spring and put it back and she's good as new!

:thumbsup:

Back