Charging system overcharging?

jchrisk1

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
My rotor went bad a few days ago and I replaced it with one a friend had. The new one read 6.3 ohms. I have been trying to check everything and I'm getting some weird readings.
When at idle, I'm getting anywhere from 13.8ish to 14.5ish. And it's really sporadic. When I rev the motor it goes up to 15.2. I've been going through the charging system checks, and at the black wire on the brushes I have .01v and at the green wire I have about 9.7v. I think the black wire is supposed to be the same as the battery. Also, my battery is reading 13.3. Doesn't that sound high? I've tested the three white wires at the stator plug and they read 1.0 ohms. I tried jumping the green wire from the reg/rec and it really doesn't change anything. The voltage will rise and fall just as it does at idle.
I'm trying to understand why it's reading sporadically. I haven't checked the ignition switch connection yet, but I am going to right now. If I understand correctly, the ignition sends the power to the brush on the black wire.

Okay, so my battery is slowly draining as I do these checks, which makes it hard to know the exact voltage drops between measures. I checked my ignition switch plug and it read the same as the battery on both sides of the red wire,12.7, and I got 12.2 at both sides of the brown wire. The guide says no more than .3 volt drop. I don't know where the brown wire goes to in the harness. The only brown wire I see at the fuse box is at the signal fuse. It doesn't look like there is a brown wire at the stator plug either. Where do go from here?

Well, obviously I don't know what I'm doing. The guide said that the brown wire is the positive brush(may be black). It looks to me that the black wire at the brushes is grounded and the green is positive. So I thought maybe it meant at the plug. My plug has green to green and black to black. So I checked it on green again and I have 10.8, 12.4 batt, 12.15 red wire at ignition switch.

You can adjust the stock regulator...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11182

If your charging system worked other than a fouled rotor and you kept everything hooked up the same, reason would suggest it might just need to be "turned down" a bit with a new rotor if you're hitting 15.2 volts at the battery.

Of course, trying to reason with an XS650 is like reasoning with a pissed off bull. Or politicians.

~ Derek

I have a mikes combined solid state reg/rec on it. I'm wondering if my battery is bad. I'm charging a different one right now and will put it in a little later.

Does your voltage increase when you throttle up to around 4000rpm?

If the voltage is spiking or running up past 14.5 v I'd say change out you reg rect unit before you barbecue anymore batteries

Yes. It goes up to 15.2-15.3 at high rpm's. And it bounces around at idle between 12.8 and 14.6ish. I get different readings every time I measure.

I’m having basically the same issue. At idle the bike is 13.5V but as increase the RPM the voltage at the battery goes all the way to 17 volts. The rectifier is extremely hot after I have run the bike for a bit. If I disconnect the rectifier the bike starts to stumble and run like crap. I have the stock regulator and rectifier.

1) What instructions are you using to test things?
2) My Regulator and rectifier look like they are in good shape. Could they still be bad?
3) With these symptoms which piece should I consider replacing (rectifier or regulator)?
4) What does each of these devices do?

hotrdd, I'm a little unsure as to what the function is of which part. My bike has a combined unit. What I used is to check things is this from the tech section.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561

What it doesn't have is how to test the reg/rec unit(other than jumping the green wire, which I did, but had no results because the wire was loose in the connection). Once I found the info I went out to check mine. When I pulled the plug apart the green wire came out of the connection. Which explains the sporadic voltage readings. After I fixed it, all was well.

I have found most of the info about how it works by searching, but I can't remember where it is. I've searched a lot of threads. IIRC xsleo explains it very well.

Have you looked through this thread that Derek posted about adjusting the regulator?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11182

My manual had an explanation about the stock testing, but I don't have a stock unit anymore and couldn't find anything else about it.
I hope you get it figured out. It was a real pain for me. But I'm electronically handicapped.

These are probably the only old part left on my bike right now but it just seems like its always a little more money and I'd like to get some miles on the bike before I spend any more money. I'll look at the threads and see what I can do.

Back