charging system

anysnail

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
would the charging system have anything to do with why my bike stalls at highways speeds?

also, would an advance auto parts brand battery be part of the reason my bike doesn't have the juice to start? i have to kick start it now and it fires on the 2nd or 3rd kick every time.

Start Here:
Curly's Charging Guide

Make sure your battery is charging. If not, then you have an electrical problem.
I'm in the process of redoing my entire electrical system because my rotor went bad.

Also, you should mention what type of bike you have.

Put a good charge on the battery and go for your ride. Even no system charge will allow your bike to run at speed for a while on a good battery. My experience has been bad idle, stalling with weak charging voltage more then high RPM issues. Although I am mostly using points systems, not electronic ignitons? Failure to start with the button but fast starts with the kicker is classic weak battery issues. If you have a digital voltmeter try to hook it up while running somehow, tape, tie wraps and wire extensions. Monitor the voltage at speeds and that will give you a fast answer. A voltmeter is a popular and worth while addition to any XS. I have a few ideas in the works right now. Harbor frieght has a LED model for $5 (sometimes on sale for $3)that gives very basic info and will help keep an eye on things.

Back