choke question?

huey224

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
im building my first xs650 bobber and when i got it it had no controls or bars no wi have the throttle,clutch,bars everything hooked up except my choke i can reach it no problem where the bikes been hardtailed. my question is is the choke supposed to stick if you push it over or do you have to hold it. mine when i let off it returns back to off is that right?

BS34? I cant speak for the 38's as im no expert but I can tell you mine had a similar problem. There are some little ball bearings and springs that hold the choke out. You will see the spot they go on the front of the carb bodies. They fall out pretty easily when the choke is removed so chances are they fell out and rolled away... A fix i got from on here is to get a couple of grease nipples, drill em out and use those bearings and springs. You have to cut the spring down a bit and its a bit fiddly but it works. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

It depends on which 34's. If it has a rod coming out the left side it operates like whereweare described.
If they are the later carbs with the end of the rod on the right side it is a slider arrangement with a tension clamp to hold/pinch the cable.
A picture would help us.

If it has a knob to pull on the left yes it should have detents to hold it full open and part open. If it has no knob then it is supposed to have a cable that runs up to a lever on the bottom of the left switch housing.
Leo

Back