chopping up yet another 650

Iowa Mark

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Like lots of folks around here, I started with a forgotten bike that was mostly there, but was stuck, rusty, and on the edge of junk status.

bobber001.jpg

After a couple of weeks trying to free up the motor with limited success, I moved on to the deconstruction phase. Seems like everyone has a picture just like this. I will supply mine.

bobber002.jpg

I decided to bend up my own tail from 1 1/4" x .120 wall DOM. This stuff most matches the split and welded down tubes on the front of the frame, and give the whole thing a more substantial look. And it was scrap price at work! The roll-around conduit bender at work set to 1" rigid works perfectly. I used the swing as a jig and fitted one tube at a time grinding away just enough of the original framing to tack each piece in place. That makes it a no-stretch with some drop. How do you determine drop? How old the coil-overs are coupled with how much you weigh? Maybe something tossed in about how little tread is left on the rear tire?

bobber004.jpg

Just for grins I hammered out a seat pan and stuck on the long low stock exhaust. Then snipped out a cardboard cut out of a tank I've been looking for. Anyone out there know where I might find a tank with that arched look and sits deep over the frame? I have been striking out and am starting to think I'll have to make one from scratch. That's how it sits as of the week-end. I've been told I need to get back on a few other projects before the snow flies, so we will see how far I get in the future. Next is to strip it all down and weld everything up with something other than my little 110v wire machine.

bobber003.jpg

Nice start.... the tank you sketched up looks similar to Cole Foster tank..... from his little blue bobber. I got one waitng for usage... nice tank!

bobber008.jpg

A quick shot of the frame all welded and cleaned up with the angle head. Also a small start on a gas tank. Sure wish I had an english wheel!

148_zps24f723a3.jpg

Just an update on my xs build. Sand blasted the wheels and got new tires installed. Cleaned up the front forks, welded on some flats for the mounting of footrests, beat out some fender sides. (undecided on the look, though) And hung my Christmas gas tank Santa left for me.

001_zps28fb12e1.jpg

Things are getting closer as the engine is back in the frame for all sorts of stuff to get built-to-fit. My rear fender got bobbed to keep the chain from causing a racket. That bargin I got at the swap meet on sportster mufflers has me rethinking the entire exhaust. Headlight looks about right, as do the seat pan and gas tank placement. New upper motor mount needs building. Foot pegs and shift/brake location is back on the drawing board after the exhaust gets decided. Overall, I am liking the the way it is coming together. Not very outrageous compared to others on here, but a basic scoot for running back and forth to work, or a little throttle twisting on a sunny saturday morning.

Thats what I thought. I got the same one (the wide 810) and was hoping that was the same. It looks great. Did you put a second Petcock in on the other side of the tank? I am debating on if it will need one to be able to use all of the fuel?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The sign was dug out of a pile of junk about to hit the dumpster years ago. Stuff like that seem to follow me home. The fender looked a bunch better before I found out just how close the tolerances are between the tire, the frame, the chain, and that fender. And I live in Northwest Iowa. Just a few miles from the Victory M.C. factory in Spirit Lake.

Haven't posted in a while. My Gordon Scott pipes showed up the other day and I got all wet around the edges to get back on the build. I have to recommend Scott for anyone! He build's exactly what you ask for and lets you know how long it will take, when it gets done and how it ships. Boxed up so that it shows up just like he sent it.... Blah, blah, blah! Thank you Scott. So, I'm down to trimming the exhaust to length, welding on tabs, wiring, locating the rear brake res., building a foot brake lever, tail light, and getting a motorcycle license. Yes, it has been about 25 years since I have been on a bike. Ride around for the rest of the season and tear her down for paint when it gets chilly here in the upper midwest.

Last edited:
Back