Cleaning Carburetors

corbshere

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1972 XS 650 that I am trying to revive. It has sat for about 6 years . I did some long term storage steps and the engine turns over easy and has good compression. I had the gas tank interior rust purged and the tank interior coated (looks great) I replaced both fuel petcocks and fuel lines. I am now going to remove the carbs. I hope i am not getting into something I can't handle. Has any one done this and what have you learned that may benefit me ? I look forward to your input and support ! wish me luck
corbshere

Did you drain the carbs before storage? If so then they should be good to go without a cleaning. Do look inside the float bowls though just to make sure. If you didn't drain them then you're probably screwed and deserve all the grief you're about to encounter, lol.

My guess would be better than 98% of the people on here have been inside the carbs at least two or three times, some a half dozen, maybe more.
As 5twins said, if you drained the carbs then you should be ok. If you did, fill up with fresh gas, maybe add some Sea Foam. It won't hurt and may help.
If you left gas in the carbs you might want to read the carb guide. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Leo

Back