Cleaning inside tank with Milkstone remover

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I've cleaned out the worst of it with a mix of nuts and bolts and some fuel. But there are some areas you can't seem to get to. I've read up and and decided to get some milkstone remover (phosferic acid) for a final clean. Having said that, the guides I've read don't seem to agree on the mixture. Some suggest 50/50, some 70/30 and some even suggest to use it undiluted. So before I give this a go I thought I'd see what people here think (obviously I may get as many different opinions again..;))..

So, I've cleaned out the worst of it with a mix of nuts and bolts and some fuel. But there are some areas you can't seem to get to. I've read up and and decided to get some milkstone remover (phosferic acid) for a final clean. Having said that, the guides I've read don't seem to agree on the mixture. Some suggest 50/50, some 70/30 and some even suggest to use it undiluted. So before I give this a go I thought I'd see what people here think (obviously I may get as many different opinions again..;))..

I was just reading about this recently at this link:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank

(you may have to copy and paste it) it discusses several different methods of cleaning rust from a tank. I'm about to try the Battery and Washing Soda/Electrolysis method.

Good luck.
Yamimoto

I have heard people just using vinegar either neat from a catering bottle or in a 50/50 dilution with water. Leave it in a couple of days and works a treat. Vinegar is just acaetic acid, and much easier to dispose of.

+1 Hamos, I've used 4 methods and the undiluted vinegar is cheapest, easiest and next to best for the enviroment.

I have used various strengths down to 20%. Works well but shake tank with some nuts in it to loosen rust first. You can also try electrolysis too. I 've used that also. Either will work well and solutions are safe and disposable.
Mike

Back