Cleaning off the mothballs...

At only 13.2 volts, your charging output is rather low and warrants further investigation. If the slip rings are really dirty, that can affect the output. You might try cleaning them if you didn't already do so when you replaced the brushes.

Thanks 5twins, I'll be sure to check on that.

In other news, I brought home a couple of craigslist parts bikes yesterday. I really only needed one, but he wanted to get rid of both of them. I'll be taking a couple of parts from one engine and the triple tree. Neither frame has a title; one of them doesn't even have a legible VIN. Does anyone know how hard it is to get titles in NM without any paperwork? In UT it was easy peasy (even with no VIN!), but I haven't tried to do it in NM yet. The frames are late '70s (I was told) - is it worth getting titles for them?

Once I've got what I need I'll put up an ad in the classifieds forum. (The parts bikes are the ones on the right).

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 151
Oh boy, parts is parts, lol. Looks like you scored two sets of the nice flanged alloy wheels. Standard headlight ears are nice too. The ears connect down lower so provide more room for cable routing. I'm sure you'll find lots of other useful parts, even if just to have as spares.

What I really need are the engine parts anyway, and these engines look pretty untouched. One is seized, but the nuts all have sharp corners, like they've never been loosened, so I have hope that the internals are in good shape. The one odometer says 22k miles. Between the two bikes there might be one set of useable rims, but there are two good sets of carbs, two engines, two sets of front forks, a set of standard fenders, and various odds and ends.

At only 13.2 volts, your charging output is rather low and warrants further investigation. If the slip rings are really dirty, that can affect the output. You might try cleaning them if you didn't already do so when you replaced the brushes.

Cleaned the slip rings today and that brought the charging voltage to 13.8!

I also got the top end off one of my parts engines. Besides being really dirty it looks like its in good shape.

Got a NM title and registration. Even took the wife for a ride this afternoon. The bike ran great, except for being difficult to downshift. Still lots of work to do, but its rideable and that's very nice.

Yes, now you can "ride and wrench", sorting out the rest of the little bugs. That's the way I like to do these. It usually takes me a couple of seasons to get it squared away and all sorted.

Back