cleaning up frame welds?

I cut putty grind remove welds and never had a problem. Just use a flapper wheel they come in different grids and make it look nice. I take out all that metal on front to give it clean look. Over 25 bikes built this way never had a problem.

Attachments

• drop.jpg
    drop.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 242
  • drop seat.jpg
    drop seat.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 221
  • frame&springer.jpg
    frame&springer.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 200 tire.JPG
    200 tire.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 210
wells as long as the inner welds on the upper tubes aren't touched it should still be ok then?

I went out and took a look. it APPEARS that the smaller tube runs all the way up to where the outer tube is bent to fit the neck. My clue is that there are, as you mentioned, blind welds and they go up that high. So unless you have thinned the tubing somewhere you should be OK. Just an arm chair long distance opinion. You will have to decide what you feel good about, and I have not SEEN what you have done so far.

From littlebill on a different thread.
I was talking to a guy at work today and he said his friend had bought a West Coast something or other-Jesse James-rail-sled-chromed Tonka toy covered-shit bucket-$80K+ bike. He said the guy was riding it a bunch and when he had gotten home noticed the rear welds were visibly cracked. So he took it to a shop to have them check it out and they found no, none, zero slugs in the connections, where needed, and all the welds were bad. He is going to take it to a place that does Magnaflux to see how bad it really is. $80K shit box, lol. "

Milwaukee Craigslist ad
what i have is a 96 in panhead titled as 86 reconstruct title motor trans nice custom frame 20 in over wide glide hardtail rims with bike solid in back new oil tank and gas tank bike was taken apart a few years ago after my original frame broke at neck THIS IS A PROJECT BIKE motor ran when took out of other frame.cash talks email me for pictures, motor has deltron cases ,dual spark plug heads fitted for shovel exhaust the bike sat level even with the 20 in over wide glide or call"

cracks happen.

I think i will do the other side just like that and add some filler to smooth it out. Where I have ground leaves flat spots. Is sandpaper the best route to make everthing nice and round again?

I used 60 grit handpaper on the tubes to level out the flat grind marks left from before. Any idea of what grits of sanding need to be done before priming a frame?

As Kop mentioned, the use of lead as a filler works pretty good. Most every custom hot rod builder used to do this. I.E. "Lead-sled". I've used it before to fill junky pitting on things. Warning! Don't eat it.

For a frame nothing finer than 240grt . Give it something to stick to .
For the base I wouldn't go past 320 depending on the recommendations of the the paint manufacture For the color and clear coat about the same . Don't get too carried away if using a clear coat as it has to have something to stick to . However I recommend not using a clear coat on a frame . Instead multiple coats of color over fully cured previous coats . Only the top coat gets the 320-400-600-800-coarse and fine compounds before hard wax . My reasoning is that rock chips are easier to fill , level and buff out if a clear coat isn't present . To each their own however . If you really wish to use a clear coat go right ahead .

~kop

Kev
Take that lower tube out will look much better you did a great job on the top.
Looks much nicer with that out.

Attachments

• wbk1.JPG
    wbk1.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 206
hey daddy,
i have been thinking of removing that bar or atleast removing the coil brackets. Where is the best place to move the coils? it will be strong enough without that bar?

I put the coil on the backbone down tube . Drill two holes and mount it. I have done over a dozen of these with out that cross piece and never had any problem and you did one better because you already did neck . I don't even do that and never had problem.

Attachments

• frame&springer.jpg
    frame&springer.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 163
  • hardtail.JPG
    hardtail.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 183
  • wframe.JPG
    wframe.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 186
What do you use for cleaning up the welds? I used a 3m roloc but am considering getting a flap disc. What grit of flap disc would be good? I know when I ground on the frame it left a bunch of flat spots so i had to sand it to get round again. Your builds look great daddy.

I buy from Home depot or Lowes and they have Flap disks in 5 grids and it comes up really nice. I am old school and have done a lot of BONDO BIKES with tons of bondo for molding frames to look like one piece but if tou use the flap it will look good. White frame has no bondo at all and i took off all the stock tabs on it.
You are doing a great job keep up the good work and its going to be a head turner.

I have to disagree with Gdaddy on this. Don't chop away all that structure. It is there for a reason. Clean it up, keep the head brace and tube and at least some gussets. It's your bike but that's my opinion.

Back