clinking noise?

scandia

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for a while trying to figure out these machines for a while now. This place is an incredible wealth of knowledge. In fact its the reason I bought my first XS and then the second.

I have a question though that I haven't found a specific answer to. I bought an 80' with 9,000 miles on it with a tick for cheap. I found what I thought was the problem when I looked in the sump filter and found plastic strips. I replaced the cam guide and put it back together (the furthest I have ever been into a 4 stroke engine). I still have a loud clinking tick after adjusting the cam tension and and valves (twice). I listened with a pipe to my ear and it sounds like it comes mostly from the right side rear head. I don't know much about heads so I was hoping some of the collective knowledge here would help. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The cam chain tensioner was supposed to have a "damper" on the shaft, on my 78SE. I had a small clicking noise, and found that the damper was missing. I had an old copper washer, that just needed the hole enlarged slightly. Put it on, and clicking was gone.

Probably worth having a look on your bike.

Attachments

• Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    Tensioner damper missing.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 102
Back