CLUNK

wyorat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a distinct Clunk when unloading the motor. IE quickly roll out of the throttle or stab the clutch. I can roll out smoothly with no clunk. Any suggestions?
TIA
Scott

Where is the clunk coming from? Due to gear lash in the tranny there is always a bit of a lurchy clunk when letting off the throttle, its more noticable in lower gears. If you have a loose/worn chain then you will notice it even more as the chain slackens and tightens.

Also, when sitting the bike will not roll freely in gear with the clutch. Start the bike and drop it in gear and it kills (acts like no clutch). Once you get going, it works fine. Come to a stop with the clutch and it does not push the bike at all.
I tried to upload a video of the noise.
TIA

Attachments

• video_57.png
    video_57.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 192
I think all your clutch issues are poor adjustment.
When the engine is off, in gear and you want to push the bike around just by pulling the clutch lever don't work very well.
The way the clutch is designed there isn't much free play in the system. Just enough to work. The clutch drag prevents this pushing.
Just slip it in neutral, much easier.
As far as the clunk it may get better with the clutch properly adjusted.
I would recommend adjusting the clutch before anything else.
Leo

I have adjusted the clutch at both the case and the perch. any tips I am missing. I backed off the lever and loosened the lock nut. Turned the screw to just contact and backed off a little less than 1/4 turn. Tightened the jam nut and adjusted the perch to just loose.???

That's pretty much right. When I loosen the adjuster screw I like to back it out several turns and spin it in/out a bit to get a good feel of just how much resistance just turning the screw is. This helps you feel just when the resistance begins to increase. I have found this to be very important on the adjustment.
Once I get to this spot I use the flats on the lock nut to determine how much I back it off. I turn it one flat of the nut, one sixth of a turn.
I then adjust the lever for about 1/8 inch play. I do this by holding the housing of the cable with my right hand and gently pulling it away from the perch as I pull and release the lever, watching how much the housing moves as I do this.
This adjustment, a well lubed cable and worm mechanism, gets about as good as it can get.
Engine oil to lube the cable, use the funnel method as described in the book.
Grease for the worm. Take it apart, clean then grease with new grease. I like the grease I have in my grease gun.
Leo

When talking about "clunks" remember a rear sprocket with loose bolts will go clunk. Not saying this is your problem. But has been a problem for some

When rolling back and forth, does it make noise in every gear with clutch pulled?
How about modulating the lever while rolling, increasing/decreasing drag?
Has the LH side cover been removed recently (loose bolts)?

It does seem to make the noise in every gear with the clutch pulled, but seems to be more noticeable in the lower gears.
I still have not figured out the clutch, so I may tear it apart and see if anything is clearly broke. If the bike sits overnight, pulling the clutch has no effect (can push it around dragging the back tire). Once is breaks loose, it is fine for the day.
Oh the "charm" of these bikes.

Back