Clutch cable lubrication

Geoffrey Straet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all,
Happy new year,
Can I lube my clutch cable with wd40? That's all I have at hand right now and don't feel like buying a can just for that.
Thanks,

Happy New Year to you, too.

WD40 can be used to clean and flush, but it will soon dry to gummy residue. Fear not, no special cable lube is required. Regular motor oil can be used.

Hang your cable, throttle too, vertically and apply drops at the top every so often. Eventually the oil will drip from the bottom and the entire cable will be lubed. Some like to fashion a little funnel at the top with paper or aluminum foil. This gives you a little reservoir and requires less attention.

Happy New Year to you, too.

WD40 can be used to clean and flush, but it will soon dry to gummy residue. Fear not, no special cable lube is required. Regular motor oil can be used.

Hang your cable, throttle too, vertically and apply drops at the top every so often. Eventually the oil will drip from the bottom and the entire cable will be lubed. Some like to fashion a little funnel at the top with paper or aluminum foil. This gives you a little reservoir and requires less attention.
:agree:

I use a cable luber and Tri Flo.
motion_pro_cable_luber.jpg

lube-tri-flow-12oz-aerosol-spray.jpg

Happy New Year! I use the off season to take care of a lot of the maintenance items on my bikes. I always use motor oil to lube cables, and lube them off the bike. I made a couple of reusable cable lubricators from plain old standard 30R2 automotive 5/16" fuel hose and a bit of 1/2" id by 5/8"od clear vinyl tubing (available from the local hardware store). I found the 5/16 fuel hose to be the perfect size for the clutch cable, and a couple of wraps of vinyl electrical tape is all that's needed to make the throttle cable ferrule a tight fit. My lubricant of choice for this is Mobil 1 20W50 - silky smooth cable operation and lasts a LONG time.
Cut a 1 inch long piece of the fuel hose, and slit it vertically on one side. Cut a 2 inch long piece of the vinyl tubing. Here's the piece of fuel hose installed on the ferrule (lever) end of the clutch cable, and the piece of vinyl tube ready for installation:
DSCN1940.JPG

Work the vinyl tubing down over the piece of fuel hose - it's a pretty tight fit, and will close the gap in the fuel hose - no oil will leak out. I like to do the throttle cable at the same time - just wrap the ferrule (carburetor) end of the cable with a couple of wraps of vinyl electrical tape and it'll be the same size as the clutch cable ferrule. I hang both cables in the vise - not clamped - just held - with the free ends above a drain pan. Fill the top end with oil and walk away - let gravity do all the work.
DSCN1938.JPG

I usually fill the oiler three times for the clutch cable, and twice for the throttle cable. This will thoroughly flush and fill the cables with lube. Let ém drain for a day or so before re-installing.
DSCN1939.JPG
I keep a set of cables pre-lubed and ready for each of the bikes in my garage - just in case. I will have to say, though, that the '81 H that I've been riding for the last 36 years has only had a throttle cable replaced - dumb mistake on my part - snapped an end off while trying to change the grip without taking the throttle sleeve off the bike.

Happy New Year! I use the off season to take care of a lot of the maintenance items on my bikes. I always use motor oil to lube cables, and lube them off the bike. I made a couple of reusable cable lubricators from plain old standard 30R2 automotive 5/16" fuel hose and a bit of 1/2" id by 5/8"od clear vinyl tubing (available from the local hardware store). I found the 5/16 fuel hose to be the perfect size for the clutch cable, and a couple of wraps of vinyl electrical tape is all that's needed to make the throttle cable ferrule a tight fit. My lubricant of choice for this is Mobil 1 20W50 - silky smooth cable operation and lasts a LONG time.
Cut a 1 inch long piece of the fuel hose, and slit it vertically on one side. Cut a 2 inch long piece of the vinyl tubing. Here's the piece of fuel hose installed on the ferrule (lever) end of the clutch cable, and the piece of vinyl tube ready for installation:View attachment 111469
Work the vinyl tubing down over the piece of fuel hose - it's a pretty tight fit, and will close the gap in the fuel hose - no oil will leak out. I like to do the throttle cable at the same time - just wrap the ferrule (carburetor) end of the cable with a couple of wraps of vinyl electrical tape and it'll be the same size as the clutch cable ferrule. I hang both cables in the vise - not clamped - just held - with the free ends above a drain pan. Fill the top end with oil and walk away - let gravity do all the work.View attachment 111470
I usually fill the oiler three times for the clutch cable, and twice for the throttle cable. This will thoroughly flush and fill the cables with lube. Let ém drain for a day or so before re-installing.View attachment 111471 I keep a set of cables pre-lubed and ready for each of the bikes in my garage - just in case. I will have to say, though, that the '81 H that I've been riding for the last 36 years has only had a throttle cable replaced - dumb mistake on my part - snapped an end off while trying to change the grip without taking the throttle sleeve off the bike.
Very useful tips, thanks !

Don't have an oiler like Marty so I've just made a funnel by cutting the corner off a baggie, electrical tape it to the cable, and add some engine oil. Let it sit overnight.....done.

View attachment 111465

This is exactly my method. It works really well. I would make one more suggestion. Pre oiling the cable makes it operate smoothly, but the only cable failure I ever had was a clutch cable that snapped (while I was far from home )
right by the clutch lever, where the cable goes in and out of the sheath. I always apply a little grease on the cable right at that spot for a little extra lubrication.

Done! ,worked actually quite well although my clutch cable housing is a bit damaged. The cable doesn't slide as smoothly as the throttle cable does, Worth replacing?

Yes, replace the cable. If it's hanging up or binding without even being connected to anything, it will bind up big time once you put a load on it. There are typically 2 versions out there. The originals used a heavier .098" diameter inner wire or cable. Many of the aftermarket replacements, and now even Yamaha's own, use a thinner .078" diameter inner cable. This "skinny" cable version is inferior, with some reporting them breaking in as little as a few hundred miles. MikesXS sells the skinny one. Heiden Tuning sells many of the same parts as Mikes, so there's a good chance their clutch cable is the skinny one too. Many of us use the aftermarket replacement from Motion Pro. It is the heavy cable type. Not sure if it's available where you are but would be worth looking for ......

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Clutch-Yamaha-Special/dp/B000OO0WT6

The difference in cable thicknesses is easy to see with the naked eye .....

2ZCXZXU.jpg

Back