clutch cush spring repair kit install?

realgone

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I've taken apart my clutch assembly to replace the friction plates and the clutch springs and a whole lotta other parts as well.
I noticed the cush springs in the back of the clutch basket were loose and could be spun in place so I ordered up the mikes xs repair kit.

I have the old rivets drilled out and I'm ready to install the new parts but am unsure of which way the bolts and nuts go in.

Does the nut that comes with the kit to replace the rivet go on the gear side or on the inside of the clutch basket? Stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, does anyone know how much I should be torquing them to?

Thanks

Very informative write-up. Realgone, could you provide me with the length and type of screws (metric or American?) used in that kit? And are the nuts half-height style (thin nuts)? I have several baskets with broken springs and could make a few good ones with the parts if I knew what bolts I needed.

Thanks TwoMany, that was helpful.
Still no torque specs, so I tightened them to about 18ft lbs or so. Used red loc tite and punched the ends in three places between the nut and bolt when I was done.

5twins, I took a few pics, hope this helps.

334-8DCB72DE8489-6373-000005B34F058F8A_zps954ab192.jpg

F6F-DC855ED0648A-6373-000005B355F3CFDC_zpsee12002f.jpg

Yes, thank you. Do you know if they were metric or American? They look like they could be either 5/16" or 8mm. What size Allen wrench did the bolt take? And I noticed in the link above from the Australian web site that one of their kits had bolts too long that needed to be ground down after install. Did yours fit OK without grinding?

prefect length, no grinding.
once snugged down they were flush with the nuts.

the allen key I used on the head was a 5mm.
the nut needed a 1/2 wrench or socket to hold. the 13mm was a little loose. the 12mm was a no go.

I think it was a M8x1.25 thread.

Boy, this is a challenge. Zoomed-in, I can find it's either:

M8x1.25 - 19, 13mm nut flats, 5mm thick
or
5/16-20, 3/4", 1/2" nut flats, 3/16" thick

Whatever it is, would prefer shoulder screw...

Thank you both. It appears I can get just what I need from McMaster-Carr for about $10.

Back