clutch friction discs

ridgerunner1965

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
im working on the clutch in my 79 xs650 special.

last time i rode it,i had trouble finding nuetrel and also have always noticed that the clutch doesnt engage until you let the lever out almost all the way.

part of my prob is a binding clutch cable. even off the bike the cable is hard to slide in the housing. so that will be replaced.

my friction discs measure 0.115. my book says min thickness should not be less than 0.122 {clymer manual}. some research here showed a min thickness spec of 0.118.

i just wanted to run this by you guys but it looks like i need a set of friction discs?

the steels and everything else in the clutch system look fine.

where would be the best place to purchase a set of frictions and a new cable???

That spec is for the very early years. Those early fiber clutch plates started out at 3.5 mm / .140 inch. I don't recall just what year , 74 or so they changed to a 3 mm plate.
So the wear limit changed. 3.1 mm is about .122.
The wear spec of .140-.122 = .018. The three mm plates at a bit under .122 would be .122-.018=.104.
I doubt your clutch plates are worn out. Yamaha used the same plates on bikes up to around year 2000 and with up to 1700 cc's.
If you want to improve the clutch, replace the tired old springs with a new set. 650central has several sets with different strengths. I run a set of Kibble White 70lb. springs. With the 750 kit I get no slippage.
Leo

Almost forgot, Motion Pro makes a good cable, strong core with the same casing as stock, elbow and all.
650central sells an Easy Pull cable that has a strong core and a slightly different casing, it does away with the elbow.
I'm not sure if Yamaha still makes them, but if they did it would be a good one.
Mike's XS sells a cheap cable that has a weaker core, the stock is about .090 in diameter, Mike's is like .070. Tends to fray and break by the lever.
Leo

Almost forgot, Motion Pro makes a good cable, strong core with the same casing as stock, elbow and all.
650central sells an Easy Pull cable that has a strong core and a slightly different casing, it does away with the elbow.
I'm not sure if Yamaha still makes them, but if they did it would be a good one.
Mike's XS sells a cheap cable that has a weaker core, the stock is about .090 in diameter, Mike's is like .070. Tends to fray and break by the lever.
Leo

X2

My Mike's cable just did that very thing.
Installed a motion pro and I feel a hell of a world of difference. Much smoother, more solid pulls.

thanks for the advice guys!

i think i will go with the motionpro cable and a new set of springs.

my discs do look fine even if the mesure a bit under spec.

Your plates are not out of spec. New spec is 3mm, wear limit is 2.7mm. Yours at .115" are 2.9mm, barely worn at all.

+++ on the 650Central Easy Pull cable - I've had one for years, nice easy pull when cable and screw are kept well lubed.

Back