clutch issue

andrsn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I got my 1979 xs650 project running, went to ride it for the first time but the clutch doesn't engage. If you drop the gear out of neutral into first it just stalls. I've adjusted the clutch a bunch of times, taken the clutch apart cleaned, filed and oiled the plates. I got the marks lined up on the basket and basket cover.

Now when I hold the clutch in while in 1st gear I can get the bike to move, but it is a struggle. With the right side case off i could see the clutch moving (seems like it has the right amount of movement), but the plates don't move. Instead they stay stuck together, is there anything else i should try before buying new plates?

The bike hasn't been used in a long time, everything in the clutch measures well within wear tolerances.

start up video, hopefully it works.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150246380654426

5454906187_b5bfdf6837_b.jpg

Lost a pushrod ball bearing ? Clutch worm gear case broken ? Washer missing in clutch assembly ? Cable dirty, stretched ? Clutch basket tangs grooved ?

It's hard to tell from what you say, but it sounds like maybe the plates are stuck together. If you have the right cover off, use a hammer impact driver to remove the springs, and separate the plates by hand and clean them. There's a mark to line up when you reassemble.

It's hard to tell from what you say, but it sounds like maybe the plates are stuck together. If you have the right cover off, use a hammer impact driver to remove the springs, and separate the plates by hand and clean them. There's a mark to line up when you reassemble.

the marks are only on the clutch basket cover and clutch basket right? (the clutch plates and metal spacers don't matter). I took it all apart and cleaned everything/soaked it all in oil overnight.

Definitely have all the pieces of the clutch present and the cable is new. clutch moves properly, the plates just don't separate and allow the clutch to spin freely.

The pressure plate doesn't move much. With the worm screw adjuster set a bit on the snug side and most of the freeplay taken out of the cable it only moves about 3mm, maybe a bit more.
This is enough to open and let the plates slip enough to run the bike.
If everthing is right with the clutch with the engine off, in gear it will be hard to push around. Engine running, in gear it shouldn't try to pull the bike along. If it does your clutch needs adjustment.
I adjust my worm adjuster to one flat of the lock nut back from snug tension, 1/8 inch freeplay at the lever. I keep the worm and cable well lubed. This puts as much of your effort in pulling the lever into opening the clutch as you will get. I have heavy springs and I can pull the clutch fine, two fingers. Very little drag, easy to find neutral and shifts well.
Leo

Back