Clutch issues

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So here's my specs:
1981 xs650 special
650central clutch cable
Brand new mikesxs worm gear using inner cable mount- mikes worm gear has 2 cable attachment points to choose from
650central perch
Adjusted lever and cable using advice from tech section.

Here's the problems:
1 Neutral light always stays on
2 Very difficult to find neutral- easiest if I drop down to neutral from second
3 At a stop, With clutch lever engaged, the bike still wants to creep forward when in 1st gear or it wants to kill when in 2nd gear.
4 When in neutral, with bike off, and I roll bike forward- I can hear gears turning inside case even though it rolls ok
5 sometimes I just can't get the bike out of second at all while at a stop. In other words, if I pull up to a stop sign without having downshifted into first prior to stopping, then it gets stuck in second and I can't drop down to first

As you can see, something is way off and I don't even know where to start looking. I recently had the clutch and right side covers off and very thing seemed visually to look ok

Sounds like it is not adjusted right. If it is not disengaging the clutch enough you will find it hard catchng nuetral or down shifting.

Rolling the bike always rotates some tranny internals.

Nuetral light on always might be a grounded wire? Disconnect at the tranny switch and see if it goes off.

Sounds like it is not adjusted right. If it is not disengaging the clutch enough you will find it hard catchng nuetral or down shifting.

Rolling the bike always rotates some tranny internals.

Nuetral light on always might be a grounded wire? Disconnect at the tranny switch and see if it goes off.

Seems to downshift ok. Actually shifting is better while driving at speed, including upshifting and downshifting. Seems to be worse when bike is not running or while it is running or at standstill.

Let's go through the adjustment drill one more time.
Cable oiled, worm greased. Perch adjuster adjuster all the way into perch. Loosen nut on threaded rod in worm a full turn or two .
back out rod a bit tighten till snug. back off only an 1/8 to 1/4 turn. while holding rod with phillips, tighten nut. set the perch adjuster.
Check clutch action.
+1 neutral light is not related to this.

Let's go through the adjustment drill one more time.
Cable oiled, worm greased. Perch adjuster adjuster all the way into perch. Loosen nut on threaded rod in worm a full turn or two .
back out rod a bit tighten till snug. back off only an 1/8 to 1/4 turn. while holding rod with phillips, tighten nut. set the perch adjuster.
Check clutch action.
+1 neutral light is not related to this.

I have done these exact steps twice but will do it again

Does it matter which cable mount point I used on the new mikes worm gear? I used closest position. Should I try to move to farther position? From everything I read here that shouldn't cause the problems I describe

Should I try to move to farther position?
No the inner hole gives the longest travel.
Just for an experiment rod snug, only back off a very small amount. See if action changes.
How many miles on it since you got it going?
A few miles can help. These old bike clutch actions are seldom perfect, neutral is usually hard to find once stopped. A finesse (kick not nudge) of the lever from 2nd will do it after lots of practice.

Back