clutch, Mike's long pushrod orientation

mcwilljg

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Mike's replacement long clutch push rod: Does the smaller diameter end go to the clutch side or to the primary drive side?

Away from the clutch plates side and toward the cable side.

The smaller end is designed to fit into the actuator mechenism in the left side cover, where the adjuster is.

Got me a long pushrod in the mail and I just wanted to make sure I understand the correct orientation. It is my understanding that you remove the two rods and the ball bearing in between and that is all. Is this a correct assumption or am I missing anything? Also should I replace the seal prior to sliding it in the hole or vise versa?

Yes, the long rod replaces the 2 short rods and the ball between them. Save the ball. It's the same size as the one still in there and the one in the worm. If you ever lose one, now you have a spare. In particular, the one in the worm can fall out when you pull that left cover off without you noticing.

Seal replacement is usually done (and easier) with the rod removed. Extracting the ball and inner rod is easier when the seal is removed. Many times, the bushing under the seal needs replacing too.

Yes, the long rod replaces the 2 short rods and the ball between them. Save the ball. It's the same size as the one still in there and the one in the worm. If you ever lose one, now you have a spare. In particular, the one in the worm can fall out when you pull that left cover off without you noticing.

Seal replacement is usually done (and easier) with the rod removed. Extracting the ball and inner rod is easier when the seal is removed. Many times, the bushing under the seal needs replacing too.

Thanks 5twins I did get the bushing, seal, and rod since the PO was just letting the oil soak the whole left side engine case.

Back