Clutch push rod upgrade.

Captmilk

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I got all the parts for the upgrade, bushing long rod, bering. I am also swapping out my clutch springs. Any tips?

On the springs I find it easiest to mash them in with a t-handled Allen wrench and use my body as leverage and turn just a small amount until the screw catches, then use your torque wrench to get them set.

Polishing media for the rod, couple seals, tools to chamfer seal opening and seat seal, drill bits for drilling-out old bushing, flashlight, small magnet and q-tips to clean-out chips, cleaning/greasing agents for worm screw, spare ball to replace the one that pops out and rolls under the washing machine, six-pack?

Success!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368834144019.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368834144019.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 138
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368834154977.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368834154977.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 129
All you need is the linger rod, bushing, and seal. I got the permatex liquid gasket like in the forum instructions and that was it. I need to get a small magnetic telescoping tool to get the inner rod out.

Should you be able to push the clutch pushrod in by hand or should it be extremely hard to do. That is after everything is assembled.

After the rod is in, should you be able to engage the clutch by hand by pushing on the rod? I guess that's what i was trying to say.

O.K, Cool. When i tore the motor down i couldn't push it and i thought something was wrong. Just didn't know that the little worm was that strong.

Just so happens I was study'n this the other day, this is from my `71:
30lbs to pull clutch lever, 4:1 ratio to cable, makes 120 lbs in cable, 8:1 at worm, makes 1000lbs at pushrod.

Back