Clutch Re-Install ... somethings not right?

blackapache

blind leading the blind
Reaction score
firstly big thumbs up to the guys helping out so far, much appreciated. Im re-installing the clutch after a long teardown that stalled over summer and have just replaced the cush springs with mikes kit, and ippytattoo sorted me out with his clutch plate upgrade too.

i had to face the bolts a little to address some contact issues with the block which ive sorted and on the advice from ippytattoo and toomanyxsb1s have addressed the issues - the driven gear and primary gear are sitting flush with no overhang as suggested. so everything seems fine there.

IMG_4822.jpg

I have a 76' so a mid run clutch which has no locking nut and a slightly different stacking sequence for the install with an extra washer im told instead of the lock nut. but my first washer (the 1mm that rests against the bearing face) has a larger ID, its the same washer used with the needle bearing further along. all the others Ive seen are a smaller 22mm i think ID.

IMG_4825.jpg

when i checked out the xscafe.com it says there that the washer should rest against the bearing outer and seat into the face somewhat which mine does.. so im wondering if this is a problem at the start or not as there are more issues down the line.

IMG_4826.jpg

when i get to the inner housing after i install the needle bearing it doesnt sit flush with the splined end it sits proud about 2mm.

IMG_4832.jpg

also i can hear metal on metal contact nothing major major but i was under the impression that the internal hub spins freely inside the whole setup when in nuetral? am i corecct here? if so this sounds a bit noisy to me as it has a brand new needle bearing. also there are wear marks from the PO or whoever did the clutch on the rear between the mating faces (i had to ride it home with no clutch when i bought it for 80km in the rain:bike:)

IMG_4831.jpg

finally when i put the large nut on i was told to torque to 58lbs? i couldnt find this in my clymer... but that completely locks the clutch up altogether so it wont even turn the primary drive or anything so somethings not right i suspect?

Something definitely does not look right there. 5twins has an excellent picture here that illustrates exactly how the washers stack up. They go from left to right, left being against the bearing in the case halves. Have a look at that diagram and it should help you sort it out.

Clayton

You have some washers mixed up, maybe some missing as well. That 1st washer you're holding in your 2nd pic does not go there. I'm pretty sure it's the "green" washer in this diagram .....

ClutchWashers.jpg

The 1st washer has a smaller I.D. and O.D. It should cover the engine bearing inner race, that's all, which yours obviously doesn't (as shown in your 3rd pic).

i thought that was the case 5twins.. i have two of those bearings the other seats against the needle bearing.. looks like the PO has just used whatever to build this thing. im guessing this pushing against the inner bearing may be the cause of the binding too when the nut is torqued up?

Something definitely does not look right there. 5twins has an excellent picture here that illustrates exactly how the washers stack up. They go from left to right, left being against the bearing in the case halves. Have a look at that diagram and it should help you sort it out.

Clayton

cheers ippy im thinking its the first washer as its being torqued up its pressing on the bearing inner and binding the whole thing.

IMG_4818.jpg

YOU CAN SEE HERE I HAVE 2 X 1MM WASHER USED ON THE NEEDLE BEARING...

IM MISSING THE ORIGINAL NO#1 WASHER WHICH HAS THE SMALLER I.D.

IVE ALSO BEEN GIVEN A LOCKNUT BUT I DONT NEED A LOCKNUT ON MY BOSS..

GOOD TIMES IN MY GARAGE AT THE MOMENT. :banghead:

YOUR A LEGEND TOOMANY!

that sounds like exactly the problem im having, i'll source the correct 1st washer. install, and report.

everything else is normal in my kit all thicknesses and diameters were checked with the venier calipers and the only odd one was that first washer, and i had the same thing the PO used another needle bearing washer to replace it. WRONG!

hopefully that sorts the clutch woes. again big ups to all the guys on the forum for their help. I'll right this bike and restore it to its former glory yet!

Thanx, blackapache, but the credit really goes to inxs, 5twins, gggGary, peanut, ippytattoo, XSleo, and other clutch gurus who spent the time and effort to research and document all that clutch stuff.

I'm just glad that I'm no longer the dartboard...

yeah your right again massive thanks to all those who spend the time to document their tips and fixes, i wouldnt be doing this otherwise as im sure many others wouldnt either.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back