Clutch side cover gasket

rustyrescue

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
decided to replace the old hard gasket.....perhaps a mistake! I suspect it may be original because it is black and most modern ones are that green colour.
It is also stuck as hard as nails to the side cover especially at the oil pump end. I have done plenty of bike gaskets but this one is dreadful.
Has anybody found any useful tricks to soften this black gasket type?
Currently it is sitting dipped in paint thinner!

Whiskey, drink a small amount. Careful with the razor blade though.
Are Vesrah gaskets green ? I don't think so. The Athena gaskets are green and do show it well
:D

Paint stripper will soften and remove the old gasket. Let it soak 10 minutes or so, gently scrape off the portions that have softened. Several applications may be required. Be patient and let the stripper do the work.

Thanks guys, I will have a go at it after the thinner and then onto brake fluid :) not keen on whiskey but a good old fashioned English beer may help. Yes my new gasket is Athena.

Don't use sealer on the new gasket or you'll have the same issue in the future. I just oil my gaskets with motor oil. This makes them cling to the sealing surface to aid in the install but more importantly, it makes them not stick so they'll come off easily later.

Back