Clutch Springs - Difference xs650S vs xs650sk

Rez Fink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I'm about to replace my clutch springs. I have a 83 Heritage Special. I believe its an XS650sk right? So to compare prices and options I use Fleabay to do my research.

All Im finding are clutch springs for xs650s. Im assuming those will work??? But i need a second, third, fourth and fifth opinion. Thanks.

Thanks Twomany..... but NOW I'm a little more confused lol.... so what springs can I use on an 83 heritage special?

Ill re-read that thread and its links to see if I'm missing anything.

i don't mean to sound like a dam idiot but i ordered from the link 5twins posted ...everything was cool until they called me today and said they were out of stock and wouldn't be getting any for a while....

so can i just google EBC CSK14 and order those? i looked around on ebay and they have plenty but they're referencing suzukis etc.... (i know parts are the same)

so can i just order CSK14's?

i have an 83 heritage special...and do believe its referred to as xs650 sk.

:doh:

That link isn't working right. Put this part # in the search bar at the top of the Whitney page .... JCW-907867

Yes, just order the CSK14s, where ever you can find them. Here's another link, free shipping and 10% off with a coupon code, but it expires today .....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/1977-1978-...clutch-spring/p2028401d57862y1977-1978j1.jcwx

The other set EBC offers, the CSK2 set, is for the earlier 7 plate clutch. They would probably work in a pinch but probably aren't as strong. I'd go with the 14s.

Hi 5twins, i'm confused between the CSK2 & CSK14 clutch spring set, I have a '76 XS650 w/ 7 clutch friction plates. Can both CSK2 & CSK14 work with my bike? Which clutch spring set should I get? Is it necessary also to replace the spring set whenever I change the friction plates?

Yes, either should work. Yamaha changed the springs slightly on the 1980 and later 6 plate clutches, but the screws and the mounting area weren't changed. The later springs are longer and I would assume, slightly stiffer (because of the one less friction plate). I would be inclined to use the later CSK14 spring set because, like I said, they are probably stiffer. No, you don't need to change the springs any time you change plates. You only change springs when they get weak and the clutch starts slipping. That's usually the case with most originals by now. They're so old they've gone soft.

As far as stiffer springs making the lever too hard to pull, if you keep the cable and worm well lubed, that shouldn't be an issue. I lube mine every year during my annual "left cover spring cleaning". For many years, I've used motor oil on my cables and it works pretty good. This year, I tried something different, thicker and slicker - STP. All I can say is WOW, I've never had the clutch pull so easy and smooth before. But, it takes a special tool to get that thick stuff in there, a hydraulic cable oiler .....

kMemipL.jpg

I ordered mine from this place in England .....

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-tools-chassis

Last edited:
I suppose it could be around 90 wt. It's very thick, like honey. I read this tip many years ago in a Moto Guzzi newsletter so I went out and bought a bottle of the Pep Boys equivalent. But, up until recently, I had no way to get it into a cable. It's too thick for gravity to pull it down through like I do with motor oil.

Back