clutch springs

jkbiker

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a sx 650 1981. Have ? about clutch springs. The ones that I took out of bike are 1.604 in. The book I have says that they should be about 1.350 in. Could it be that the springs have been replaced? If so are they ok to use? One of the clutch pkates is warped is the because of the different springs? Also the friction plates only measure atout 0.117, The book says that new ones are about 0.140.

Yes, it appears the clutch springs are aftermarket springs. No need to change springs unless there are problems such as slipping.

Friction plates are normally 0.118" and wear limit is 0.106". So at 0.117" yours are just fine.

The steel driven plates are normally 0.055" and they don't wear very much, but they should not be warped.

Have you read the "clutch" section under Tech at the top of the page?

The early friction plates were thicker. I'm not sure what year they changed, maybe 74. The .140 maybe the early spec.
If you got the spec from the Clymer book, it often misquotes the factory specs or doesn't specify what years get what specs.
The stock springs often have blue paint on them. The after market are different colors. I think it is so you can tell what your springs are. I have a couple stock sets and some with orange paint, the orange are much longer than stock. I think I may take them to a machine shop and get them measured for pounds of pressure at the installed height. I'll use the stronger set.
Maybe that will help with my clutch slippage at high rpms.

It most certainly will. Clutch springs are one of the 1st things I change on any Jap bike clutch of this style and I have been since the late '70s. They all need it.

Back